For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By avtur3
Rob P wrote:That is NOT letting yourself down in any way.

Rob P

Not at all, our furry friends have soul and character, they become a part of us and when we lose them it damn well hurts ... tears are a natural reaction.

I've spent the morning putting together a photo gallery of Monty, each time I find a new picture the tears roll.

By the way, thanks for all the replies, you're a thoughtful bunch :thumright:
By Sjoram
Grew up as a child with a retriever and doberman in the family.
Aunt is a guide dog 'puppy walker'.

We lived with my partner's Mum and brother for a few years. Brother had a Westie, Milly. She was not 'ours', but she was very much part of the family and came over regularly to visit and stay for 'holidays' once we had moved out.

We lost her early last year to lymphoma. Vets tried their best and we had a few extra months, but towards the end it was becoming clear that treatment wasn't working and quality of life was suffering. I got to see her one last time a few days before that painful decision had to be made.

Unfortunately, I also got to find out about her passing via FB, which I was less than pleased about.

We have to hold on to the good memories.

I don't have any advice as to your next decision, but I'm sure your gut will tell you what is right and when.

My words to FB...a few days later, once the dust had settled - apparently I was in the wrong for feeling aggrieved I found out the way I did...
By kanga
Sjoram wrote:..
Aunt is a guide dog 'puppy walker'.

:thumright:

Last Sunday we were pleased to confirm to a visitor to JAM that our 'only assistance dogs in the hangar and cafe' policy included dogs under training. Young black lab, perfectly behaved, .. :)
Sjoram liked this
By avtur3
Sjoram wrote:
...... We lived with my partner's Mum and brother for a few years. Brother had a Westie, Milly. She was not 'ours', but she was very much part of the family and came over regularly to visit and stay for 'holidays' once we had moved out.

We lost her early last year to lymphoma. Vets tried their best and we had a few extra months, but towards the end it was becoming clear that treatment wasn't working and quality of life was suffering. I got to see her one last time a few days before that painful decision had to be made.

Unfortunately, I also got to find out about her passing via FB, which I was less than pleased about....

]

I feel for you, we've had to think quickly about how people find out, the last thing want is anyone in the close family finding out on social media. So we asked others to hold back.

Also, I feel for you with it being a Westie, the friend we have just lost was 'Heinz 57' but we owned him alongside a Westie who reached 15 years, and before that, we had a Westie who reached 11 years. so we've had Westie companionship for 26 years, they are brilliant little dogs.
Last edited by avtur3 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sjoram liked this
By ROG
The worst mistake that I ever made was leaving our dog with the vet when she was put to sleep.
It"s worried me ever since(25 years ago)--she must have been terrified and obviously couldn"t have understood what was happening.
If you have to have the dog put to sleep bring him /her home and have the vet visit.
Foxmoth22, Nick liked this
Putting a dog to sleep is the best and the worst thing you can ever do at exactly the same moment.
I love my dog so much that when my wife said, "it's me or the dog", I found myself with the most expensive dog in the world and am now happily single. (There may be some of you who remember my thread about mountain flying on PPrune some 13 years ago; it's funny how one's life can be documented....)
She was an informal rescue dog with undeclared behavioural issues towards other dogs (no dog social skills) but she absolutely loves kids and has a special body language reserved only for kids. It took me at least two years of training to get her to where she needed to be but it was worth it.
AndyR, JAFO, Flyingfemme and 1 others liked this
By avtur3
stickandrudderman wrote:Putting a dog to sleep is the best and the worst thing you can ever do at exactly the same moment.

Our recently departed canine companion 'Monty' spent many happy hours in the back of the C class estate I bought from you (and still have). You are so right about the conflict of "best thing - worst thing".

We knew our 'little man' was in poor health, but it was so difficult to understand if he was in pain/discomfort, which had to be our ultimate concern. However this week it got to the point where we had to challenge ourselves, "are we doing this for him ... or us", We had to accept the painful reality that we were close to doing it more for us (not wanting to confront the inevitable) than him, suffering because of the obvious physical decline in his condition.

We've owned dogs virtually all of our 36 years married life (thankfully no conflict between me and Mrs. Avtur), this is only the third time we've had to make this decision. It is devastatingly horrible, we so wished he would simply go to sleep one night and not wake up.

Notwithstanding our upset, at the loss of Monty, we will continue our adventure with another canine friend. We have some practical matters that mean we can't do anything for the next 3 weeks, but towards the end of August we will be looking for our next canine companion.
mick w, AndyR, Sjoram and 4 others liked this
By avtur3
Wow, it's funny how life throws such extreme ups and downs at us, often in quick succession.

I posted here just a few days ago about the loss of our 16-year canine friend, our pet dog Monty, where, due to deteriorating health problems we had to make a heartbreaking decision to end his suffering. This brought about dreadful feelings of loss, which we know will continue for some time. Little things every day that remind you that someone is missing.

Tonight we cooked salmon on the BBQ and eat outdoors, as Mrs Avtur finished her meal she instinctively left a small portion to one side of her plate for Monty, thats what we always did, we're going to be dealing with little events like this for months to come.

However, today, there has also been the most unbelievable positive event in our lives. Ten weeks ago Mrs Avtur and I became first time grandparents, a very emotional event.

Today we moved that on to a whole new level, today Mrs Avtur and I were trusted, on our own, to take care of our grandson, without mum or dad, for the very first time. Today was a genuine one and only "first time in life" experience. We were 'sole carers' for our grandson for 6 hours. It was an absolute privilege to be given this level of trust and we're the first people anywhere to be given this responsibility for our grandson. We are absolutely over the moon at how the day has been, we look forward to thousands of similar opportunities to look after grandchildren in the future, but today was the very first time.

Talk about ups and downs in life .....

Having said this I understand that today has been a very sad day for many in our community (Sussex UK) , I am very sad for that loss.
PeteSpencer, JAFO, ArthurG liked this
By avtur3
Bill McCarthy wrote:Before you know it your grandson will be wanting to borrow the car !

It's funny you should say that because at one point yesterday I was thinking to myself that he will probably only ever know electric vehicles, and I'll have to explain to him how back in time cars were powered by internal combustion engines. :lol:
avtur3 wrote:However, today, there has also been the most unbelievable positive event in our lives. Ten weeks ago Mrs Avtur and I became first time grandparents, a very emotional event.

Today we moved that on to a whole new level, today Mrs Avtur and I were trusted, on our own, to take care of our grandson, without mum or dad, for the very first time. Today was a genuine one and only "first time in life" experience. We were 'sole carers' for our grandson for 6 hours. It was an absolute privilege to be given this level of trust and we're the first people anywhere to be given this responsibility for our grandson. We are absolutely over the moon at how the day has been, we look forward to thousands of similar opportunities to look after grandchildren in the future, but today was the very first time.

The next moment to cherish forever (if it hasn't already happened) is when he falls asleep on your chest with the smell of his warm little head inches from your nose....
Warm babies' heads: the best smell ever!

Peter :wink:
avtur3 liked this