For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By riverrock
The issue when you have lots of email accounts is remembering to check them all. There are a lot of email addresses that will reach me personally (at least 10 personal ones and multiple groups) but I have them all setup to end up in my one gmail account, so I'm checking things once. I also have 7 of them setup allowing me to send from them via gmail.
If you want to filter addresses in gmail, you can add a "+" after the first part of your email address and it will still come to you. Gmail also ignores "."s within addresses. So the following will all end up in the same inbox (you setup filters to put them in different folders):
myname@gmail.com
my.name@gmail.com
m.y.n.a.m.e@gmail.com
myname+SomeRandomStuff@gmail.com
myname+SomeMoreRandomText@gmail.com

I would say - I wouldn't use the free gmail service for anything work related (wouldn't be allowed anyway as you can't get a data sharing agreement from Google unless you sign a contract with them and so use gsuite).
By Sjoram
Personally, I run my own email server at home.

Most email arrives through a forwarder, sending from an alias on one domain to another, the latter of which is configured on my server. Some email goes directly to the domain configured on the server itself. In the case of the forwarders, the hosting provider does the spam checks etc and is set to bypass checks on my server. For mail arriving directly, those checks happen locally. My mail server is quite happy to accept any from address being set on outgoing mail, it's on the receiving mail server to check whether my server is valid for sending mail identifying as that domain. (SPF, DKIM etc)

For a friend where I host their domain but didn't want to run their mail through my server, we forward to a free gmail account. We didn't want to set up for sending via gmail as I found it will append an 'on behalf of' to the from line, showing the gmail address. We instead used SendGrid (other options available) for sending their mail. Due to low volumes, the free tier does just fine. It took some fiddling including using app passwords to get logged into Gmail on the mail clients whilst sending via SendGrid and having a non-Gmail from address, but not much sweat for a techie to set up once and when running it works just fine. They virtually never log into the gmail account via the browser, but we were able to configure mail sent there to go via SendGrid to show the From header as desired too.
By Sjoram
riverrock wrote:
Sjoram wrote:We didn't want to set up for sending via gmail as I found it will append an 'on behalf of' to the from line, showing the gmail address.

See https://www.lifewire.com/how-can-i-remo ... il-1171845

You just need one SMTP capable account where the domain / forwarding server is.

Sjoram wrote:We instead used SendGrid (other options available) for sending their mail.
:D
By VRB_20kt
I too run my own mail server. But email systems really are not for the faint of heart. The configuration options are many and keeping it secure is non-trivial. Then there are spam filters to set up, anti virus measures at server level, relay configuration (and making sure you don’t have an open relay). The list is long.
Sjoram liked this
By rikur_
VRB_20kt wrote:I too run my own mail server. But email systems really are not for the faint of heart. The configuration options are many and keeping it secure is non-trivial. Then there are spam filters to set up, anti virus measures at server level, relay configuration (and making sure you don’t have an open relay). The list is long.

Did this professionally and personally for many years ..... so grateful for MS365 taking all that pain away! (and the client security audits becomes so much simpler)