For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
JAFO wrote:Chins covered and noses sticking out, I've seen plenty wearing them like that.

Indeed there's no legislating for the pathologically stupid :roll:

I read recently that we're trying to control two pandemics Covid 19 and stupidity and we stand a chance with the first one :D
Miscellaneous, JAFO, Flyin'Dutch' and 2 others liked this
@johnm - I don't think there's any reason to call the RAF pathologically stupid :wink:

Perhaps you were thinking of the Army. :D

I heard something similar about the two pandemics but the person conveying it did not use the word stupidity, it started with an F and ended in uckwittery. I agree that we have more chance with COVID.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Charles Drayton wrote:
johnm wrote:Indeed there's no legislating for the pathologically stupid...

There are several laws relating specifically to pathological mental illness(es) which I assume your rather derogatory "joke" refers. Always fun to laugh at people with a mental health condition. :roll:

Take no notice of @johnm he's the Forum Katie Hopkins :lol:

Peter
I am very sympathetic to those with mental illness it’s certainly no joke, but it should have been obvious that the use of the word pathological was to provide emphasis not suggest a medical context.

The word can be used outside a medical context to suggest extreme or abnormal characteristic(s)
johnm wrote:...it should have been obvious that the use of the word pathological was to provide emphasis not suggest a medical context...

Lots of things should be obvious, like the ancient name of a Hero's black dog, however as you often tell us it is not for the offender to tell us what is and isn't offensive; it is for the offendee to tell you. Consider yourself told. :thumleft:
Charles Drayton wrote:
johnm wrote:...it should have been obvious that the use of the word pathological was to provide emphasis not suggest a medical context...

Lots of things should be obvious, like the ancient name of a Hero's black dog, however as you often tell us it is not for the offender to tell us what is and isn't offensive; it is for the offendee to tell you. Consider yourself told. :thumleft:

I consider myself told, notwithstanding the semantic debate, try irredeemably stupid instead.
Rob P liked this
johnm wrote:I consider myself told, notwithstanding the semantic debate, try irredeemably stupid instead.

That's not semantics and it's definitely not debate. :lol: << neither is that ;)
johnm wrote: it should have been obvious that the use of the word pathological was to provide emphasis not suggest a medical context.

The word can be used outside a medical context to suggest extreme or abnormal characteristic(s)

Well dusting off my Greek, παθος + λογος means the study of pain or suffering; nothing about extreme or abnormal.

Bill H
eltonioni liked this
Bill Haddow wrote:
johnm wrote: it should have been obvious that the use of the word pathological was to provide emphasis not suggest a medical context.

Well dusting off my Greek, παθος + λογος means the study of pain or suffering; nothing about extreme or abnormal.

Bill H

Language and usage advances a touch over 3000 years........