For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Propwash wrote:..there are people who will see disregarding restrictions as a badge of honour highlighting their individualism. :roll:

PW

some people prepared to be worse than merely 'non-compliant' :(

"Bournemouth bus driver hurt challenging man with no mask"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53519376

[usual BBC disclaimer .. :roll: ]
kanga wrote:some people prepared to be worse than merely 'non-compliant'
"Bournemouth bus driver hurt challenging man with no mask"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53519376

I refer the panel to this post I made on page two of this thread..

skydriller wrote:French bus driver attacked after telling passengers to wear masks:
https://www.france24.com/en/20200711-widow-of-french-bus-driver-beaten-to-death-over-masks-says-family-is-destroyed
Died in hospital. :(

Regards, SD.. :(
Today is day zero for compulsory face coverings so we'll hear about plenty of that sort of thing in the coming days.

Let's see if this encourages people to go back to work but don't hold your breath - not even in an ironic mask wearing way.

Mods, we need a mask emoji.
I went into the bakers for a loaf of bread just now. Put mask on before entering. Took it off as I walked down the road. No big deal. Everyone was complying.

It may work. It may not. The fact it may is enough of an incentive imho.
johnm, JAFO, PeteSpencer and 2 others liked this
Lots of people are back at work and quite a lot never stopped, retail sales have almost recovered though the mix is a bit different.

The Honda car factory is running as it featured on the news with a minor Covid outbreak as did the post office depot and the fire station.
Propwash wrote:
Yesterday I had to visit a shopping centre to keep an appointment at the Apple store inside. Although the centre was not particularly busy I would estimate that only about 20% of those there were wearing face masks of any sort. The centre itself had a clearly marked one-way system to keep people at some distance with floor marking arrows every 10 yards or so but still odd individuals chose to ignore the clear markings and walk against the flow. There were plenty of staff about but didn't see any one of them challenge such behaviour.

By contrast, at the Apple store itself there was a roped off queue space outside with clearly marked positions for people to stand apart from each other. . . The atmosphere was relaxed but everybody was complying with social distancing. . . Clearly it can be done, but I suspect many stores simply won't have the will to be as strict with non-compliant customers.

PW

I think the demographic of the Apple store's clientele is substantially different from that of the shopping centre's punters.

Bill H
I had to visit the supermarket this morning (due to an unexpected MiL visit for lunch today) so I took my freshly washed cotton mask. It wasn't terribly pleasant so I shopped for the next few days while I was there. After a couple of minutes my glasses began to steam up and I had to remove them. They are only reading glasses, so go on/off a lot. But this is face touching when I'm not supposed to be doing it.
In the car park I saw an older man (older than me, anyway) with a spiffy neoprene mask, fitted with dual plastic discs and a wide bit of metal over the nose - presumably to help with a snug fit. Only he had it on upside down with the nose fitting clipped tightly together under his chin! 95% of people tore them off as soon as they were outside.
Bill Haddow wrote:I think the demographic of the Apple store's clientele is substantially different from that of the shopping centre's punters.

Bill H

Easily led herd-followers?

Rob P
Charles Hunt, JAFO, SteveN liked this
Rob P wrote:
Bill Haddow wrote:I think the demographic of the Apple store's clientele is substantially different from that of the shopping centre's punters.

Bill H

Easily led herd-followers?

Rob P

Not really, more folk who like simple straightforward technology that just works. :-)

We have a houseful of Apple devices, a couple of PCs which require constant maintenance and an Android phone in the bin because Mrs Johnm's constant "How do I do x" drove me nuts, so she now has an iphone and all is peace and quiet....:-)
Re low return rates in the City (Workers not investments). My daughter's normal place of work is the cheese grater. Like all really tall buildings use of lifts is critical to get people in and out. However when you reduce occupancy, I've forgotten the numbers but let's say from 20 to 4, then the time factor of getting people in and out renders the whole thing unworkable.
The FLYER e-mail just pointed me to the government's guidelines for GA establishments and I was a little confused by:

"Staff are exempt from the requirement to wear a face covering while they are working. When they are not at work or are off duty (for example, during breaks), staff must wear a face covering inside the premises."

So, you can work in the club house for ten hours a day but if you take a fifteen minute tea break you have to put a mask on through which you can't drink your tea? Have I read that right? Do you think the person writing it has read it at all?