For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
French medical experts think that coronavirus is caught much like measles and they recommend masks in enclosed areas, which will become law on Aug 1st. However, enclosed areas are not well defined, a hangar sized supermarket is not the same as a theatre. I try and avoid places where I have to wear a mask for any length of time, but I was not uncomfortable having my hair cut wearing a mask. Admittedly it was cut by a young woman in a tight black dress and high heels…
Simon
I had my hair cut today: first time since lockdown: I looked like Wurzel Gummidge.

Same fella as for last 20+ years.

Did a house call: very civilised.

Poor bloke went freelance only last year and didn't have long enough books to get any self employed government dosh: his co-workers got £4.5K!

Peter :wink:
Korenwolf liked this
Somewhere recently I saw a face-mask for sale with a CAA half mill chart printed on it. :D

Unfortunately I can't find it again. Has anybody else seen this, and able to provide a link? It was quite appealing to my inner aero-nerd.
Flyingfemme wrote:I'm getting seriously bored with the BBC's idea of "news".

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53416067

"The Andrew Neil Show will disappear from BBC schedules as part of cuts to the corporation's news operation."

That show did not report news. It should never have been part of the Beeb's "news operation"

Bill H
In preparation for next weeks directive on wearing face coverings in shops, I nipped down to the town centre today with a disposable mask on, just to see how I got on with it.

I was one of only three persons on the entire high street wearing one, and to be honest, I drew what I could only describe as suspicious looks from quite a number of people, almost as if they thought that I had the infection and shouldn't have been out.

It will be interesting to see what it looks like on Friday week. We'll all look like drug dealers or bank robbers and be considered pillars of the community :thumright:
PeteSpencer wrote:I had my hair cut today: first time since lockdown: I looked like Wurzel Gummidge.

Same fella as for last 20+ years.

Did a house call: very civilised.

Poor bloke went freelance only last year and didn't have long enough books to get any self employed government dosh: his co-workers got £4.5K!

Peter :wink:

As my Barber is in Orlando.........

My Doris bought a set of clippers for the dog.

She said - let's see if this.... Ahhhh. OOppps.

I said - did you put the 12mm clip on.

She said - What clip ?

OFFS

I had a #2 all over.

It will grow - which is more than some of my 60 plus colleagues can say :pirat:
avtur3 liked this
Korenwolf wrote:In preparation for next weeks directive on wearing face coverings in shops, I nipped down to the town centre today with a disposable mask on, just to see how I got on with it.

I was one of only three persons on the entire high street wearing one, and to be honest, I drew what I could only describe as suspicious looks from quite a number of people, almost as if they thought that I had the infection and shouldn't have been out.

It will be interesting to see what it looks like on Friday week. We'll all look like drug dealers or bank robbers and be considered pillars of the community :thumright:

Yet in my town the increased usage of masks is very noticeable and I got looked at with disdain from several people when I was out walking the dog earlier. Clearly I must live in a town of bedwetters :shock:
johnm wrote:
That is an assumption, and falls into the post hoc ergo propter hoc trap.

I took the view that there's sufficient global evidence of the impact of different strategies to make it a reasonable assumption.

One might also adduce evidence from places which failed to impose any or siginficant lockdowns, and/or lifted them 'early' (against medical advice, but with political pressure), and/or visibly great local defiance of them, and a subsequent and arguably consequent surge in cases, serious illnesses, and deaths. The Southern US States, especially Florida, come immediately to mind. This seems particularly compelling when there is an apparently analogous comparator, eg Canada vs US, New South Wales vs Victoria
johnm, Paul_Sengupta liked this
Korenwolf wrote:In preparation for next weeks directive on wearing face coverings in shops, I nipped down to the town centre today with a disposable mask on, just to see how I got on with it.

Apparently plenty of stores (Aldi, tesco,JD Sport - y'know the big chains) are saying that they won't insist customers wear a mask and obviously the police aren't remotely interested in enforcing it.

We went to our friend's lovely pub in the country on the edge of town last night. It's killing them even though they are doing everything they have been asked to do.

There have been a mere two C19 related deaths in our area and we have lots (lots!) of elderly people in this part of town- so many that we still have decent local shops where people wait politely outside. Yet it's looking like Sheffield is a gnat's chuff away from being locked down like Leicester.

We also hear today that HMG haven't published postcode level data because of pressure from council's who are worried about backlash that "communities" will look like they aren't performing very well. Frankly I couldn't give a toss about the feelings of the Roma living 20 to a terrace house if we lose our local shops and pubs because of another pointless lockdown.
eltonioni wrote:We went to our friend's lovely pub in the country on the edge of town last night. It's killing them even though they are doing everything they have been asked to do.

I went to a pub the other day - what a fiasco. Had to "register" via text before I could even go in the door. What they failed to tell you was that the text was a premium rate item, and I have now been charged for it by o2.

Unimpressed and next time I will just tell them I don't have a phone.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this