For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
All over the news tonight.
I’ve clear criteria for clinical settings, based on length of consultation, space available, procedure required (checking BP, taking blood samples etc requires PPE.)

However, outside of work I’m not so sure. I don’t have to use public transport thank fully.

I have worn it to the supermarket, but few others did.
It’s a big modern Sainsbury’s, wide aisles, very high ceiling, restricted numbers in store, well behaved customers. It’s likely little different to being outside.

Don’t fancy restaurants just yet. Did get my haircut last Saturday, I wore a mask, barber gloved, mask and face shield. Only 2 customers in at a time, strictly appointment only. Felt fairly ok.

Still nervous about most other indoor settings. Anyone else.?
JAFO, T6Harvard liked this
Face coverings ( note - not masks) are compulsory up here in any public building as Bill says.
Before they were compulsory, my criteria was could I be breathing at any point within two meters of someone. That meant any shop or when meeting anyone.

Face coverings really don't have to be uncomfortable.
JAFO liked this
I would like it very much if the authorities in England saw fit to follow the Scots and mandate the wearing of face coverings in public places.

I always wear one when in shops but I'm wearing it to protect the thick tw@ts who can't be **** wearing one themselves and that includes the majority of the staff. I'm still working from home but will wear one at work when sharing a space with anybody, gloves too.
I wear face covering (home made by MrsJohnm) in any retail premises even the market. Also in any busy street or similar scenario. I'm pretty sure I don't have it but I do think everyone should be wearing them so I do.

Gloves are not recommended so I don't wear them but use hand sanitiser wherever available and wash hands at every opportunity and first thing on returning home.
JAFO, T6Harvard liked this
I do agree that face coverings should be mandatory in shops, enclosed public spaces and anywhere else that social distancing cannot be achieved.
When I go to the supermarket it seems to me that less than 25% of customers are wearing face coverings and observing social distancing, it makes me feel quite uncomfortable.
I will not be going to pubs, restaurants the theatre or to have bikini line waxed any time soon. :D
JAFO wrote:I would like it very much if the authorities in England saw fit to follow the Scots and mandate the wearing of face coverings in public places.

That is not what the scotch-one mandated. It was public transport and shops/businesses and indoor areas where social distancing isnt possible, if I recall...not public places...So not alot different to the UK advice, or the French, or etc...etc...

Note : the following is not aimed at anyone in particular...general rant...

We've had 4 months of C-19 "news" so everyone should have a general idea about how viruses spread by now. This is all common sense stuff and Im getting a little miffed at the constant harping about rules and regulation and what is allowed and what isnt that I see in the media (including on here). Its really not hard to work out where it would be appropriate to wear a mask and what social distancing is and whether you are in an "at risk" category wrt catching the virus and therefore perhaps be a little more carefull. If you cant work out if it would be OK to go see a mate, have an outdoor BBQ one afternoon with a couple of close friends, go to the beach, fly with someone else, stay at a friends overnight, go to a restaurant, or do anything else ever...then I dispair and maybe you should just spend the rest of your life locked in a box being fed through a hatch...or not fed... :evil:
:furious: :guns: :furious: :guns: :furious: :guns: :furious: :guns: :furious:

OK, Rant over...continue as before....

Regards, SD..
Flyingfemme, flybymike liked this
skydriller wrote: If you cant work out if it would be OK to go see a mate, have an outdoor BBQ one afternoon with a couple of close friends, go to the beach, fly with someone else, stay at a friends overnight, go to a restaurant, or do anything else ever...then I dispair . . . . .

One of my favourite sayings is: you can't legislate for stupid.

PW
skydriller, townleyc liked this
skydriller wrote:
JAFO wrote:I would like it very much if the authorities in England saw fit to follow the Scots and mandate the wearing of face coverings in public places.

That is not what the scotch-one mandated. It was public transport and shops/businesses and indoor areas where social distancing isnt possible, if I recall...not public places...So not alot different to the UK advice, or the French, or etc...etc...

That's kind of what I meant by "public places" - on public transport, in shops and businesses and indoor areas where social distancing isn't possible. The trouble with advice, particularly from what I've seen in the UK, is that by far the majority of people are too stupid to follow advice, which is why I feel it needs to be made mandatory, as in Scotland.

skydriller wrote:Its really not hard to work out where it would be appropriate to wear a mask and what social distancing is...

For most of the English public (my only direct experience) this does seem to be very difficult indeed. That's why it's me and @johnm wearing masks and all of the rest of them coughing and sneezing and breathing (for some I would discourage all three activities).
Not for outdoor use (dogwalking, allotment, ..), where most people sensible and courteous, and spacing is easy. Only to shop (local Co-op, uncrowded, floor markings for spacing and one way arrows; most people sensible) and JAM (rehearsal last Sunday, rostered 'on' tomorrow); would on any public transport (unlikely until next MoT required, helpfully postponed until November :thumright: ). Home made from online pattern, washable, fastened by fabric straps to be knotted (elastic experiment less secure and comfortable); provided also to offspring, and lauded as perfectly adequate by medical and new mum daughter-in-law. JAM will be providing commercial (not clinical grade) disposables for volunteers (mandatory) and visitors (on their request).

I'm familiar with proper clinical ones and discipline/protocol for their use, at least as it was >50 years ago when I last worked in such settings :roll:
Just inside supermarkets. As per others experience it seems less than 25% of people are bothering and social distancing is ended.

That said I didn’t wear one in Wickes the other day as it was very quiet and it’s even bigger than Sainsburys. (And I took the 3 year old to give the 8 week old sibling a break!)
JonathanB wrote:Just inside supermarkets. As per others experience it seems less than 25% of people are bothering and social distancing is ended.

That said I didn’t wear one in Wickes the other day as it was very quiet and it’s even bigger than Sainsburys. (And I took the 3 year old to give the 8 week old sibling a break!)

In local Tesco, while the punters slavishly follow the one way system (I had to walk miles up and down alleys back to 'sauces' when I forgot my jar of Branston) and pause dutifully to keep 2M from the person rummaging through the frozen foods, the In-store 'click and collect' pickers charge up and down in any old direction, often physically brushing past the punters.

Targets I suppose.

Or do they get regular Covid 19 tests?

Peter
Totally pointless to expand the mandate on face coverings in my opinion. No idea what problem they are trying to solve. Just been to local garden centre and most of those wearing them were half on, hanging down, being pulled on and off to talk / itch and no staff wearing them. A load of them I have seen look filthy and stained and have been worn all over the place / for heck knows how long. Keep your distance and practicing high standards of hand hygiene is more than enough for other than close in situations I think.
eltonioni liked this