For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill Haddow
I have a Seiko chronograph (pilot version, yeah, I know) which is left permanently on Zulu Time. Doesn't get adjusted except for date changes if I can be arzed. (currently showing 20th). Always seems to be bang on time when I check it. Gone up a bit, now about £170.

Rotary chronograph, present so price not known but I think £80ish. Bit more dressy than the Seiko, similarly good accuracy.

Then there's the Rolex Submariner . . . . well come on . . . just how long do you think that air tank is going to last anyway?

Bill H
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
^^^^^^^ At my age, that would be about £200 a year , At 83 I'll probably not be bothered about time, anyway and I don't intend to leave too many hard-won assets behind when I croak. :twisted:
Casio, 7-day shop.com, ~£6 delivered It shows the time and when the battery's flat, the case and strap will be mashed-up anyway.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By skydriller
Now, I like that...Very simple and clear. Does what it is supposed to do...but I would want the hours/minutes reversed. Big numbers for hours please...
Last edited by skydriller on Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Propwash
I have a Seiko Kinetic Divers. It has the accuracy of quartz but doesn't require a battery as its capacitor is charged by movement. It only loses about 1 second every 4 or 5 months so should be good enough for most people (bar those with time linked OCD :wink: ) and as I have to reset it every 6 months for daylight saving etc it doesn't even register with me. It is waterpoof to 200 metres and fully luminous. (Sorry it does have a metal bracelet but you could replace that). One of the best watched I have ever owned, and as a time junkie too I have been through a few. :oops:

PW
By PeteSpencer
mikehallam wrote:FM radio pips are no good, they arrive several seconds late !

I just dial 123 for an accurate time check any time.

You don’t have to wait around for the next BBC News

OK costs money - min 31p but I’m a man of substance and can stretch to this every 3-4 months .

Used to be ‘dial TIM’ in days of yore .

Peter :wink:
By kanga
Pulsar Chronograph 100M, black face, date, stopwatch (never used!), silver sweep second hand. Has never needed correction except after end of <31 day month or change of time zone, as a result of my own clumsy adjustment knob winding. Batteries have lasted for several years.

'Free', in that it was bought with 'use or lose' Qantas flyer points, and delivery could be only to an Australian address. Collected on our next visit to daughter in Sydney.
By stevelup
PeteSpencer wrote:I just dial 123 for an accurate time check any time.

You know your phone, iPad etc, will always have exactly the correct time - to a fraction of a millisecond. So you could just look at the thing that's already in your pocket!
JonathanB, PeteSpencer liked this
By kanga
stevelup wrote:..

You know your phone, iPad etc, will always have exactly the correct time - to a fraction of a millisecond. So you could just look at the thing that's already in your pocket!

When my father died, my stepmother offered our sons, both in early 30s, his two wristwatches: one late wind-up (quite good but not collectors' quality Swiss), one more recent quartz, both passably elegant. Neither wanted either: they had had (and regularly lost/broke) cheap digitals in teen years, and now always carried and used for time only their mobile 'phones.

~10 years on, stepmother moves into a care home. Both watches among things cleared from her house, stepsisters agree I should take them. Elder son now quite interested, but only for wearing on formal occasions...