For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill Haddow
Nah @Trent772 , that's just boring.

I like it when the Met Office forecasters prank the R4 Continuity Announcers by splitting one of the Utsires, or South East Iceland, into 2 parts, often with very little difference between the forecasts for the parts. So you get the poor old CA having to struggle with:

north North Utsire blah-blah-blah followed by south North Utsire blah-blah-blah followed by South Utsire blah-blah-blah or

south-east South East Iceland blah-blah-blah followed by north-west South East Iceland blah-blah-blah

Plus the anticipation of whether Trafalgar will make it on to the team sheet.

I find that the lady CAs are better at pronouncing the gh/ch in Lough and Ardnamurchan than the gents.

A truly British institution.

Bill H
kanga, Trent772, T6Harvard liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Bill Haddow wrote:A truly British institution.

Indeed.

Must have heard it a million times during my night shifts driving across the countryside from one police-job to the next one.

Staple of police surgeon work.
By Bill Haddow
Pete L wrote:Do any of the forum matelots still use it or is it just a nostalgic reminder of the UK seafaring past?

Not for maritime purposes, but I find that the forecasts for Malin and "Mull of Galloway to Mull of Kintyre including the Firth of Clyde and North Channel" (note it is NOT 'the North Channel') give a pretty good indication of the weather if I'm going to be out and about in Ayrshire.

Bill H
By Bill Haddow
More baby-steps on the way back to honey-still-for-tea in the sunny uplands. R4 has resumed live commentary on Test Matches (I say "live", but there didn't seem to be anything actually happening just before noon).

No doubt this will be music to the ears of @Propwash :thumright:

Bill H
T6Harvard liked this
By Trent772
As a young FO at Capital Airline at Yeadon, I would set out for the early shift in 1989......

On the automobile wireless was this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/uk_theme.shtml

Marvellous !

Still have it on my iTunes playlist... I think it called the Old Knuts playlist as made by my son.
By Propwash
Bill Haddow wrote:More baby-steps on the way back to honey-still-for-tea in the sunny uplands. R4 has resumed live commentary on Test Matches (I say "live", but there didn't seem to be anything actually happening just before noon).

No doubt this will be music to the ears of @Propwash :thumright:

Bill H

Well, sort of, Bill. You wait all through the early summer for some cricket, often sweltering in the low 30s, and the first day of the first test is marred by shedloads of rain and poor light with the same forecast for today. :roll:

Without any crowd atmosphere in the grounds though, even when play was possible, it was a very strange experience and a long way from any sort of normality. I wonder when life will regain anything like it.

PW