For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
As part of my clearing out some old stuff in my office I came across my old O Level question papers. Two grabbed my attention.

Geography Q2 - looks like I avoided the weather one - no wonder I struggled with Met during the PPL :D

Maths - some questions seem blindingly easy now , but others much less so. Full paper on this Dropbox link. https://www.dropbox.com/s/aogxn7vs9k5rm ... r.pdf?dl=0

I reckon the question chosen would be a good subject for any contemporary PhD dissertation in Economics/Philosophy or Religion

How standards have slipped.

What mark did you get?
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I reckon the question chosen would be a good subject for any contemporary PhD dissertation in Economics/Philosophy or Religion

How standards have slipped.

What mark did you get?

I think the answer to that question for a PhD would be rather more extensive.
I am impressed by how much I have forgotten -- I really did know all that maths back then!
@Jim Jones I was partly jesting - but I am pretty sure that contemporaneous O levelers would struggle with thos questions.
Great to see another hoarder:I keep all this stuff and important correspondence like acceptance for a place at Med School and Univ Camb....

Some of the Nat Sci part 1 papers made my eyes water when I skimmed through them a year or so back.

My exam board was Oxford & Cambridge:
For 'o' levels in 1960 they didn't give grades, just a pass or fail:

But your school could ask for 'raw scores' (in %) if you wanted them.
I did rather well in Eng Lang.............. :wink:

Peter
CP - in my school days you’d lose a mark for “spelt” . If it is spelled like that, “boilt” could qualify instead of boiled. I lost a scrabble match for the Royal Navy Middle East **** trophy for using “learnt”.
Colonel Panic liked this
AndyR wrote:Looking at the Geography one first, I was astounded by how easy it was (I also went on to do A Level Geography).

Did your affinity for Geography have anything to do with having a crush on the teacher? (Or have I mis-remembered the subject she taught?) :D
Colonel Panic wrote:
AndyR wrote:Looking at the Geography one first, I was astounded by how easy it was (I also went on to do A Level Geography).

Did your affinity for Geography have anything to do with having a crush on the teacher? (Or have I mis-remembered the subject she taught?) :D

She taught French :D

I swapped that for Sociology :oops:
Colonel Panic liked this