For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Jim Jones
I see renting an e-scooter is now legal.
Anyone here think they may use one.?
My thoughts are that cycling keeps you warm., but standing up at 15mph could be a bit chilling except in summer in the dry. And I bet they’ll all end up at the railway station, not outside my door when want one.
By Bill Haddow
Jim Jones wrote:I see renting an e-scooter is now legal.

Always has been legal, it was using one in a public area that was illegal. In general terms it still is, the exemption only applies to certain designated areas, and only for the trial period, and only from specific hirers.

I think met, not Met, will put most of the constraints on their use !

Bill H
kanga liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Used them several times when visiting cities that were offering these services; fun quick, not very cheap.
By Jim Jones
Bill Haddow wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:I see renting an e-scooter is now legal.

Always has been legal, it was using one in a public area that was illegal. In general terms it still is, the exemption only applies to certain designated areas, and only for the trial period, and only from specific hirers.

I think met, not Met, will put most of the constraints on their use !

Bill H

Sorry Bill, I'm not up to BBC standards :wink:

From what I've read you have an app, request a code then that lets you unlock a scooter, then its per minute (23-25p) :shock:
Guess its better than a sweaty, steamed up bus
By Propwash
Jim Jones wrote:

It might seem that way until you go under one. I think they are a dangerous addition to already crowded city streets. It will be interesting to see the accident statistics after a year or two of usage.

PW
By Charliesixtysix
My overriding memory of Christchurch is that it is a lovely place spoiled by dozens and dozens of bright green scooters, dumped on the pavement or propped on a fence wherever they are off- hired.
By riverrock
I think I read they can be up to 55kg in weight?

I only saw one illegal scooter today. One yesterday. Today's was on the pavement, yesterday's was traveling at some speed on the road (felt like more than 30mph as felt faster than cars but as I was walking it was hard to judge). The hire scheme isn't running in Glasgow yet but police don't see them as a priority. I'd try it as a novelty but don't think I'd use regularly. I'm surprised that helmets aren't part of the trial. With the tiny wheels and potholed roads, there could be some nasty incidents!
By Bill McCarthy
Bliddy ‘ell, legs, for some will be redundant. The obese will wreck them. I still remember the 20 odd stone female in her mid twenties or thereabouts rushing to deny an elderly gal of a mobility scooter in the local supermarket. She set off with the seat disappearing up between the cheeks of her arris, whilst also displaying a massive arsecleavage.
By GrahamB
Bill McCarthy wrote:Bliddy ‘ell, legs, for some will be redundant. The obese will wreck them. I still remember the 20 odd stone female in her mid twenties or thereabouts rushing to deny an elderly gal of a mobility scooter in the local supermarket. She set off with the seat disappearing up between the cheeks of her arris, whilst also displaying a massive arsecleavage.

Somewhere to tuck the extra bottle of Buckfast I suppose.
Charles Hunt liked this
By GrahamB
oldbiggincfi wrote:
BillMcCarthy wrote:Bliddy ‘ell, legs, for some will be redundant.

Recent Police recruitment advert.

"Only Those without .................... need apply"

There, fixed it for you.
By eltonioni
Propwash wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:

It might seem that way until you go under one. I think they are a dangerous addition to already crowded city streets. It will be interesting to see the accident statistics after a year or two of usage.

PW

It’s the bus that’s dangerous, not the scooter. These things are like pushbikes, the more there are the nicer our world becomes as the streets become less crowded.
By JAFO
What I don't understand is why it might be legal to rent one and ride it but not to own one (and therefore be more recent and current) and ride it.