For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I very rarely drink whisky, or any drink for that matter, but I do reminisce with a so called “ navy strength“ dark rum now and then. No matter how they portray the stuff, the product never could match the genuine article. RN rum had viscosity and a punch to it. When in the “Windies” in ‘62 we took a run down to the then British Guyana and had a run ashore to the Demerara sugar cane fields at Georgetown - then on to sample the by-product at the offshoot distillery. Total loss of hydraulics to the kneecaps for all involved. Damn, those were the days.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Then someone should get the distillers to re-write their false claims on the label......................
Or prosecute them under the Trade Description Act 1968.

They are not false claims. :D
]

@Miscellaneous
Irony filter slipped , misc. ?

Peter :roll:
PeteSpencer wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Then someone should get the distillers to re-write their false claims on the label......................
Or prosecute them under the Trade Description Act 1968.

They are not false claims. :D
]

@Miscellaneous
Irony filter slipped , misc. ?

Peter :roll:

Nope, not broken at all. I was/am in agreement with you.
Isn't there such a thing as single barrel whiskey? Where what you drink comes from one barrel?

A normal single malt could come from several barrels so could be considered to be a blend.

As for scenery there's the highlands where the spectacle is mostly vertical and the islands, which have been ground flat but have spectacular inlets and estuaries with turquoise seas and golden sands.

I've been to Sollas, we went via Loch Lomond and Glencoe, about half way up...
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill McCarthy wrote:“The MacAllan As We Get It”. - 103% proof. If you find one don’t drink it ,

My late dad was in H M Customs & Excise and in his early training years was stationed in Scotland loosely attached to an area dealing with a number of distilleries.

In working out duty to be paid on a barrel of whisky after storage allowance had to be made for evapouration (the 'angels share' as it is poetically called in the Cognac region of France).

The common practice of 'grogging' played havoc with estimations of specific gravity and was very hard to stamp out.

'Grogging' being the practice by distillery workers of chucking a bucket of water into recently emptied whisky barrels, and rolling them round the yard for an hour or so, which produced by dint of leeching out the whisky from the wood, a very acceptable bottle or three of free scotch.........

Subsequent barrels of scotch stored in these 'grogged' barrels suffered the reverse effect, much of the alcohol absorbing back into the wood.......................

Peter :wink:
ChrisRowland wrote:Isn't there such a thing as single barrel whiskey? Where what you drink comes from one barrel?

Not in Scotland, we don't produce whiskey, we produce whisky. Entirely superior product. :D

ChrisRowland wrote:...and the islands, which have been ground flat but have spectacular inlets and estuaries with turquoise seas and golden sands.

I'd suggest you were flying very high, or maybe your recollection is failing somewhat. Not many islands are flat. Tiree jumps to mind as being 'flat'. :D :wink: Some in fact reach above 3000' many more above 2000'. Can I suggest a trip back to jog your memory? :D

ChrisRowland wrote:I've been to Sollas, we went via Loch Lomond and Glencoe, about half way up...

If memory serves, you did a few touch and goes... :thumright: