For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I fear this project will be cancelled; asked whether sitting close to it will mean I can see pixels etc, their reply was "if the wallpaper is larger than 3 metres wide, you will see pixels / blur unless you are sitting a few metres away". Bummer
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Why not create an 'active' wall with an array of council house-size screens, driven by a cluster of Rapberry Pis hooked up to the internet of things and controllable with an app from anywhere in the world?

@stevelup will only be too happy to help, I'm sure. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Current thinking is to go down the modern day equivalent of having flying ducks on the wall, & reliving my Yoof by covering the wall with 12 inch square frames containing esteemed artistes including Ted Nugent, Pink Floyd, The Sex Pistols and Uriah Heep.

Cheap as chips, and the art work can be changed / updated as needed.
By stevelup
Colonel Panic wrote:I fear this project will be cancelled; asked whether sitting close to it will mean I can see pixels etc, their reply was "if the wallpaper is larger than 3 metres wide, you will see pixels / blur unless you are sitting a few metres away". Bummer

Whilst it's entirely possible to print a whole wall sized image without visible pixellation, the issue would be finding a suitable source image in the first place!

Let's say you could accept 150ppi - 'Not Great, Not Terrible™'

480cm x 180cm means you'd need 28350 x 10650 pixels. That's 302 megapixels (!) not gonna happen...

300ppi which would realistically be the minimum acceptable resolution... 1.2 gigapixels :lol:

One alternative is something vector based which would have infinite resolution.
By Dusty_B
stevelup wrote:Let's say you could accept 150ppi - 'Not Great, Not Terrible™'

480cm x 180cm means you'd need 28350 x 10650 pixels. That's 302 megapixels (!) not gonna happen...

Depends on your camera... I've flown with a 450 megapixel camera on board.
It was worth a lot more than the (nearly new) aeroplane though.
By rikur_
stevelup wrote:

Rumoured to be in mainstream high-end smartphones early next year .... 108 megapixel already available in some Xiaomi devices
By Genghis the Engineer
stevelup wrote:Which is of course utterly ridiculous as there's no way you can achieve that resolution with a tiny lens, no matter what the sensor may be capable of...

Indeed.

I'm just waiting on my new phone arriving. I'm sure it'll be great - but 25Mpix through a pinhole. Nah!

Realistically about 8Mpix is as much as those devices will actually bear. Everything else is interpolation.

G
Colonel Panic liked this
By PeteSpencer
Vairy naice .

Good decision IMHO in view of size/shape not to got for 'full-wall' illustrations....

I've got a pristine , unused and unfolded/un creased (rolled) copy of the southern half mil on my only large wall unfilled by family stuff.

Decided not to naff it up by plotting all the places I've flown from/to in the last 26 years...................

Does the job.

Peter
Colonel Panic liked this