For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill McCarthy
Straw has value here - they can make £30 per bale after a bad summer. They are required as bedding for stock. However, the carrot growers take a large chunk of them now as frost protection overlay.
By Charliesixtysix
Same genus, different variety and husbandry.
Flax for linen comes from a taller variety that is harvested before maturity ( hence poor seed/ oil yield). There is no linseed variety that I know of that produces good seed and good flax.

@Bill McCarthy : Yes, cereal straw is a valuable by product Indeed but not so linseed straw, which has the bedding quality of rusty barbed wire ( and similar propensity to tangle around everything it touches...).
matthew_w100 liked this
By Pete L
Bill McCarthy wrote:Yet, in Scotland there have been record yields due to OUR dry spring - 18 t/ha wheat in St Andrews. Neighbours spring barley yield up 20%. I’m still struggling to get my spring oats combined - it flattened overnight recently in a stormy night with heavy rain. It too looks like a heavy crop but the weather is now against me.

Did you manage in the recent dry spell?

(Even though we've never met and I've landed at Wick a whole once, I still glance at the weather there).
By Bill McCarthy
The combining was a nightmare but we got through it - had to go in the direction of the collapsed crop, but ended up with a reasonable yield. Baled the straw yesterday in blazing sunshine - roasted in the tractor. Relaxed now - slept in ‘till six this morning.

Thick fog here this morning with sun attempting to break through.
Pete L liked this
By Brooklands
What is this crop? It was drilled straight after they cleared the straw from the field. I didn't see them do it, but I presume it was the way The Farmer described in his wheat crop thread.

Brooklands
By Charliesixtysix
Highly likely to be Oilseed Rape.

( but could easily be another of the brassica family which are increasingly being grown as a catch/ cover crops, such as Stubble Turnip or Forage Rape - they all look very similar at that growth stage).
By skydriller
I wondered about stubble turnips, but IIR my father would've just spun them on as opposed to spending the effort sowing them...?
By skydriller
@Charliesixtysix Im talking over 10 or 15 years ago , so no doubt things have changed - that huge drill looks like quite a beast!!

Is it really cost effective to use it for something like stubble turnips for animal foraging with their short cycle etc? I can for sure see the idea of one-pass drilling systems for high-cash crops though I guess if you have it sat there use it?
Regards, SD..
By Charliesixtysix
Probably marginal but as you say, it is in the shed anyway....

I like to have stubble turnips on our lighter land for soil stabilisation during the winter period, before we drill maize in the spring. It also helps out a friend with some winter fodder and his sheep that graze them off make pretty good self propelled muckspreaders. :thumleft:
skydriller liked this