For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By lobstaboy
Solvents like ether are good for bonding most clear plastics materials to themselves. But not for making a dissimilar material joint such as Perspex to metal. In general dissimilar material joints are tricky because the adhesive has to be compatible with both, and heating and cooling cycles put a lot of stress on the joint due to different thermal expansion of the two materials.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The problem I have when deciding what glue to use is that there is no such thing as just "plastic"...identfying the actual material in "broken stuff" is the problem.

(Yes, I am regularly given something in pieces by various family members and asked "can you fix it?"... Unfortunately Im not Bob the Builder... :wink: )
By PeteSpencer
skydriller wrote:The problem I have when deciding what glue to use is that there is no such thing as just "plastic"...identfying the actual material in "broken stuff" is the problem.

(Yes, I am regularly given something in pieces by various family members and asked "can you fix it?"... ................................................... :wink: )

I know what you mean . my grandchildren gave me this:

Peter :wink:
kanga, johnm, skydriller and 1 others liked this
By matthew_w100
skydriller wrote:The problem I have when deciding what glue to use is that there is no such thing as just "plastic"...identfying the actual material in "broken stuff" is the problem.

(Yes, I am regularly given something in pieces by various family members and asked "can you fix it?"... Unfortunately Im not Bob the Builder... :wink: )

I discovered there is a Loctite superglue that comes with a separate "surface activator" in a felt-pen type dispenser. If you wipe this on first,the superglue magically works on plastics it has refused to stick before.

I've just been watching "The Repair Shop" which is lovely gentle background TV. They seem to have a vast array of sticky substances at their disposal, most of which I have never heard of. There *must* be a catalogue for restorers somewhere!
By lobstaboy

Yes, I'm afraid so. Many different plastics. Just as there are many different metals - you wouldn't expect to be able to join aluminium using the same methods as say stainless steel.
The simplest way to identify plastics is to burn a bit
https://www.twi-global.com/technical-kn ... -a-plastic
Not much help when trying to mend a household item, I admit.
By Bill Haddow
cockney steve wrote:If the article is of German origin, Boschstik is suggested, If African, try Ibostik.

hat, coat..... :lol:

And if Glaswegian, Fannybawstick

Bill H
OCB liked this
By Flying_john
The Prof said:-
Where does the joint fail (ie is the glue residue on the aluminium, the leatherette, or both? Heat could well be your problem. Most glues soften with heat, and surprisingly little at that.

My experience is from making guitars and ukuleles, ..................................

ooooh another Ukulele maker.

Look combining pastimes !!!

But back to serious chat about adhesives (apparently not supposed to say glue)

The Evostic attaches to the aluminium like sh*t to a blanket as I found out yesterday when trying to remove the residue before starting again, having said that there is also glue still attached to the vinyl in most places. It seems to be at the edges of the trims where it seems to shrink back, peel and then I guess over time the glue re-hardens and you end up with trim material just sticking out at various angles from the metal.

I am going to retry with a "high temperature" spray on contact adhesive, turn a lot more of the material underneath and make sure there is glue on both the top side as well as the underside of the aluminum and make sure it is touch dry before bringing the two sides together.
Flyin'Dutch', kanga liked this
By oldbiggincfi
I was taught " The glue had to more flexible than the substrate "

Where necessary use more than one glue if the primary adhesive does not form a suitable bond .

Builders, frequently use PVA for this purpose .
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
Cobblers!

If they are closed, Timpsons.
By Flying_john
Moving on...........

Whats the best solvent for the old sticky remains of evostic?

Perhaps Avgas?
White spirit,
brake cleaner
MEK

I haven't tried anything yet as spent the afternoon just peeling the old coverings off the trims, but I guess I need to clean off all the old glue before starting again.
By oldbiggincfi
Flying_john wrote:Moving on...........

Whats the best solvent for the old sticky remains of evostic?

Perhaps Avgas?
White spirit,
brake cleaner
MEK

I haven't tried anything yet as spent the afternoon just peeling the old coverings off the trims, but I guess I need to clean off all the old glue before starting again.

Listen to the Archers :shifty: :naughty:
kanga liked this