Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By simon32
Follow-up
The al fresco dinner went went and Madame became more and more relaxed helped by a drop or two of vino blanco, but she told us some odd things. She cancelled sending clothes to her grandchildren in Corsica in case they became infected. We tried to explain that you could not send viruses through the post especially in the days it takes to reach Corsica. She also took the clothes back to the shop where she bought them as they had not been unwrapped and they gave her money back. Thus the clothes were in their original wrapping and were then packed in a parcel, so we failed to see how any viruses would get to Corsica, particularly as our area is almost free of infected people. She also said that she would not be comfortable going by ferry to Corsica to see her daughter and grandchildren in case the cabin was not properly disinfected. We asked if she shared a cabin, no; was the linen clean, yes; did she have meals on board, no she normally took a sandwich for the overnight trip and didn’t go to the cafeteria for breakfast. Sometimes we think she is winding us up, as my wife is a doctor and gets rather exasperated putting her straight. She also mentioned that her daughter who has a degree in natural science suggested there was a relationship between 5G and coronavirus... Anyway we had a good laugh and are sure her family regard her as an Aunt Aggie.
We also had an excellent lunch today on the first day of opening in a favourite restaurant served by waiters in masks. Apart from this oddity, the other dozen or so diners looked normal and sounded as though they were enjoying themselves.
Simon
By rdfb
Jim Jones wrote:I have a suspicion that eating out will return to being relatively rare and more expensive due to a) fewer covers due to spacing and b) no economies of scale that chains can achieve.

Over what period? I was under the impression that restaurants go bust all the time. Closures of specific outlets from the bigger chains isn't that uncommon either.

In the short term with no or little business and the higher costs of doing business with all the infection mitigations, I expect to see many businesses going bust. But when demand comes back, so will the businesses and it'll just be the owners that have changed. Not that this helps those finding themselves unemployed in the meantime, but that's how it is.

In a couple of years or even earlier I'm pretty sure life will be back to mostly normal. We'll either have a vaccine or people who are going to die from it will have died. People who aren't affected will not be prepared to keep mitigating forever. We'll be back to sharing our germs as we did before. Sorry if that seems callous, but that's how it is. The problem is only because it happened all at once, not because death and disease happen; the latter is something we all live with anyway.