For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TheFarmer wrote:A forager

Theres also the classic version...
(Which I spent many an Easter Holiday as a teenager driving a tractor/trailer to support...but slightly older JDs)
By Charliesixtysix
Flyingfemme wrote:I stand corrected........... [girly] big, noisy machines! [/girly]

From the outside yes, inside they can be driven whilst wearing your Sunday best.

The cabs are climate controlled with air suspension seats and are probably no noisier with 800+hp on full whack than the average decent quality saloon car pottering around. Laser steer or GPS autosteer and speed controller makes working at full width (up to 12m cutter width is common) and optimising machine throughput much easier than it used to be.

Foragers have image capture on the discharge spout which identifies the trailer and steers the spout to auto fill it to capacity. Some machines are now outputting harvester travel speed and track to the trailer tractor, so it holds formation automatically.

https://www.deere.co.uk/en/agricultural ... l-control/

Clever stuff.
By Bill McCarthy
JD have pulled out of the county - they do not have a good reputation here. Bliddy expensive for a start.
A near neighbour was in the field with his JD and it suddenly conked out - called the agent, came out, plugged in the laptop. JD had remotely stopped the outfit because a payment on it was overdue. Payment made, tractor restarted.
By kanga
Flyingfemme wrote:We took a couple of minutes, yesterday evening, to admire the teamwork and equipment that went into mowing Staverton.............

most important question: did that include Twy R to the Museum ? :)
By skydriller
Bill McCarthy wrote:A near neighbour was in the field with his JD and it suddenly conked out - called the agent, came out, plugged in the laptop. JD had remotely stopped the outfit because a payment on it was overdue. Payment made, tractor restarted.

Sounds like they've been checking out Tesla for Customer Service tips... :?

S'funny....since the 80s right up until he quit farming, my father used to swear by them.
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By PeteSpencer
I usually groan when our farmer plants beet alongside the strip Harvesting seems to chuck up more stones and flints onto our grass which knackers the mowers

Standing crops much less hassle except that I have to remind him not to leave ruddy great wing-wrenching circular straw bales less than 30 m from the strip

Peter
By Charliesixtysix
Cessna571 wrote:Just thought I’d post an update, so nice looking back at when it was tiny seedlings

Always rewarding to see the crops develop through their growth stages isn’t it.

They have done an excellent job on the weed control too :thumleft:
Cessna571 liked this