For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
JoeC wrote:The beet factory at Newark is a great VRP!

I am simply amazed that the OP flies in East Anglia yet isn't aware of all the sodding great beet factories sending plumes of steam high into the air all winter.

:scratch:

Rob P
johnm liked this
By Charliesixtysix
Four factories at Bury St. Edmunds, Cantley, Wissington and Newark, processing approaching 10 million tonnes of beet each year and producing c.1.5m tonnes of sugar are quite difficult to hide. :wink:
johnm liked this
By Rob P
Particularly as I have just remembered that Dave, the OP, trained at Rougham, in the shadow of the Bury St Edmunds factory.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
seanxair wrote:Must have no sense of smell then! I remember being able to smell it from Newmarket heath.

They’ve actually managed to get rid of the smell pretty effectively after trying many solutions

There were two distinct smells : the steam from the chimney and the fermenting biological stink from the settling ponds.

They even tried spraying air freshener from poles around the ponds which combined to make a seriously gag-worthy stink .

Wind direction used to be critical.

Either way they’ve cracked it .
Must be new technology as even Greene King have stopped their brewing smells . Mind you the malting is now done elsewhere .

Sugar factory is still a brilliant landmark and wind speed/direction indicator (during the campaign ).

Peter :wink:
seanxair liked this
By mick w
Whilst Gliding at Bardney & Winthorpe ,we could extend our flights by sitting in the Plume ,lovely smell , I also ate Beet Pulp as a kid , no adverse effects ...that I'm aware of ???. :lol:
By Cessna571
Rob P wrote:Particularly as I have just remembered that Dave, the OP, trained at Rougham, in the shadow of the Bury St Edmunds factory.

Rob P

Oh, I know about the factory and have flown towards it many times !

I just didn’t know that the crop was sugar beet.

I was out cycling and we said “look at that, it’s amazing, wonder what it is?”

Only having ever been involved in livestock (on a small scale), I find arable farming absolutely amazing.

The soil here is totally amazing, it’s dark and rich and if you had an allotment you’d spend years trying to get the soil to look like it does in the fields here.

Anyway,I know where the factory is, just didn’t know what that crop is!
Rob P liked this
By Cessna571
Rob P wrote:
JoeC wrote:The beet factory at Newark is a great VRP!

I am simply amazed that the OP flies in East Anglia yet isn't aware of all the sodding great beet factories sending plumes of steam high into the air all winter.

:scratch:

Rob P

I am, but I’m not sure that’s got anything to do with not knowing what sugar beet looks like when it’s in the ground

:scratch: :wink:
By Rob P
There was a time when Rothamsted Research Institute had a webcam trained on one plant - Bertie Beet - so that you could watch his growth through the year. I can't find him currently or I would have linked him for you.

Rob P

Can you tell I used to be involved in the industry, marketing beet drilling machines?
By TheFarmer
Can you tell I used to be involved in the industry, marketing beet drilling machines?

And Galebreakers.
By Rob P
And Galebreakers indeed. I was in at the launch for that one.

Rob P
By Pete L
mick w wrote:Whilst Gliding at Bardney & Winthorpe ,we could extend our flights by sitting in the Plume ,lovely smell , I also ate Beet Pulp as a kid , no adverse effects ...that I'm aware of ???. :lol:

As long as it's well soaked you wouldn't have got colic. :D
By Rob P
And you aren't a little hoarse :?

Rob P