For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Cessna571
We live slightly north of Cambridge and it’s a hive of industry here with arable crops.

Our favourite one on our walk is this one, which we’ve watched grow from tiny cress like seedlings.

However, we have no idea what it is going to become.

Does anyone on the forum know?

By seanxair
Hard to tell from the photos but could be spinach?

I use a free app on my phone (mainly when abroad) called Flora Incognito. Take pictures and if you have a web signal it will come up with possibilities.
By Cessna571
Charliesixtysix wrote:Looks more like Sugar Beet ( with a liberal dose of volunteer potatoes emerging) to me.

Interesting! I never knew sugar beet existed till just now and 5 mins with google
By seanxair
Thought they were a bit close sown for a root crop but I'm only guessing. Anything beyond wheat, rape, barley and beans is a mystery to me. Cows more my heritage.
By Cessna571
Bill Haddow wrote:
Cessna571 wrote:
I’ve googled,but I can’t find what LGJ is ?

Little Green Jobbie - the botanical equivalent of the ornithological LBJ

Bill H

:lol: :thumright:
By GrahamB
I’ve just missed inadvertently picking up a LBJ of a different sort while tidying a border. It’s usually a sign that the cat has decided that the litter tray needs changing.
By JAFO
Cessna571 wrote:
Charliesixtysix wrote:Looks more like Sugar Beet ( with a liberal dose of volunteer potatoes emerging) to me.

Interesting! I never knew sugar beet existed till just now and 5 mins with google

Not far down the road from you, the factory at Bury St Edmunds takes in sugar beet as it comes from the field and sends out bags of sugar. I don't know quite why but that has always amazed me, the whole process in one place.