Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By rf3flyer
eltonioni wrote:
Flyingfemme wrote:Bicycle is fine when the weather is fine....But this is the UK. It won’t last.

There’s no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong clothes.

Which remark makes me think you haven't much ridden a bike, eltonioni. Rain you can take measures against, but a strong headwind can reduce a rider to tears. Not so bad if just out for a ride but on a commute, so presumably against the clock, not so good.
By PeteSpencer
malcolmfrost wrote:I had hail the other day, now that really hurts!!

Anybody remember the yellow plastic/oilcloth cycling capes of the 50/60ss?

They had little loops to hook yer thumbs through while holding the handlebars and although they offered good protection against hail and heavy rain they were lethal in high winds, offering about as much sail area as a Mirror Dinghy....

Peter :roll:
Edit Just remembered the word.... :roll:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sun May 10, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avtur3, cotterpot, Rich V liked this
By Propwash
PeteSpencer wrote:
Anybody remember the yellow plastic/canvas cycling capes of the 50/60ss?

When I first ventured out onto the streets in my old job we were issued with canvas capes. The old winter greatcoats (made of wool and heavy as Hell) absorbed so much snow or water that you could barely stand and the cape was great to wear over it to keep dry and warm. The old hands liked them because they could hide their sneaky fags under it in one hand if the patrolling sergeant or duty officer appeared. I never smoked but I was still actually sorry to see them go.

(I also had a yellow cycling cape as a kid). :thumright:

PW
By Charliesixtysix
avtur3 wrote:
Barcli wrote:If you want a proper e-bike, buy a 1500w motor kit ( from China) , a 48v 13.5 amp hr battery ( from China) and fit it to a good mountain bike .( probably from China)..... oh and forget to fit the pedal assist sensor so its unlimited - 40mph easy....... you will not pedal again in your life . God bless the Chinese :wink:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-bike-Conve ... jArmpW4XLQ

Would I be right in thinking that a motorised (hub motor) front wheel is the easiest way to go?

Also, looking at most power wheel options it looks as though battery and charger are a separate item, is that the case ??

I would strongly suggest trying the various methods of electric assistance before committing. Front hub conversions do have their place but are rarely as good as purpose designed crank motor bikes.

Also, check the legislation to ensure what is planned is both sensible and legal ( note barcli’s wink ).
By eltonioni
rf3flyer wrote:
eltonioni wrote:
Flyingfemme wrote:Bicycle is fine when the weather is fine....But this is the UK. It won’t last.

There’s no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong clothes.

Which remark makes me think you haven't much ridden a bike, eltonioni. Rain you can take measures against, but a strong headwind can reduce a rider to tears. Not so bad if just out for a ride but on a commute, so presumably against the clock, not so good.

Lets put it this way, my first proper cycling shorts were made of wool with a chamois made of actual chamois, my jersey was cotton, no socks, leather lace up shoes with holes and proper cleats and straps, only a cotton cap for head protection, or the woollen one in winter.. I thought tubs with a 753 racing frame to be perfectly good to venture where people only dare take full sussers now and I've ridden up the A1 to York and back in pigging rain, headwind there, wet arris coming back wearing / using the above. A few times.

We used to dream of Goretex when I wer a lad. :pirat:

/ProfessionalYorkshireman

More helpfully, very few people experience rain because it very rarely rains so they can do whatever they do now if they like. - drive, bus, electric scooter, fusion pogostick. Buy better clothes and mudguards if you're worried about getting wet on a pushbike. If it's windy you go slower. E-bikes are a fantastic solution for commuting and I would guess that anyone who can afford to fly can afford an nice E-bike. Whatever, just get out of the front door differently more often instead of picking up the car keys. :thumright:

The thing about driving and being stuck in traffic is that YOU are the traffic you're stuck in.
nallen liked this
By eltonioni
Like the man says, it's compelling. Fingers crossed that these messages are starting to get through to local policymakers here. It's one thing for HMG and LAs to keep taking about change but we do need to stop funding roads the same way as always and start funding infrastructure that prioritises people and people powered transport over motorised vehicles.

By kanga
~50 years ago in Cambridge, at least, cyclists had taken over the streets in the centre of town, at least in daylight hours in term time, by sheer weight of numbers. Motor vehicles could legally still use all those streets, theoretically at up to 30mph, but the number of cyclists made such speeds impossible. In the decades since this seems to have been formalised by pedestrianisation, parking restriction, and through motor traffic restriction at certain times. Oxford, where my children were students ~20 years ago, seems to have been similar.

Perhaps something similar may now be beginning to happen in towns in UK which do not host ancient universities: the cyclists (now workers not students) form their own critical mass as the 'new normal', and formal traffic regulation may follow as civic authorities recognise that many of their residents and (possibly later) of their businesses like it.
By Barcli
avtur3 wrote:
Barcli wrote:If you want a proper e-bike, buy a 1500w motor kit ( from China) , a 48v 13.5 amp hr battery ( from China) and fit it to a good mountain bike .( probably from China)..... oh and forget to fit the pedal assist sensor so its unlimited - 40mph easy....... you will not pedal again in your life . God bless the Chinese :wink:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-bike-Conve ... jArmpW4XLQ

Would I be right in thinking that a motorised (hub motor) front wheel is the easiest way to go?

Also, looking at most power wheel options it looks as though battery and charger are a separate item, is that the case ??

Yes battery and charger are separate but its a regenerative dc motor so when you are either pedaling, or freewheeling , its charging the battery.
Personally I went for rear wheel - you can buy both - but bearing in mind the increased weight I thought that it might make the front steering heavy - might go front next time
avtur3 liked this
By eltonioni
Boardman is right - decision time. It would be such a shame if everyone slipped back into old travel habits when we've had a glimpse of how much better it can be for everyone.

Bravo to this little lad, that's some real skills he's had to learn with dad in the days BC.

nallen liked this
By skydriller
eltonioni wrote:It would be such a shame if everyone slipped back into old travel habits when we've had a glimpse of how much better it can be for everyone.

You are kidding, right? Its better if nobody does anything and doesnt travel anywhere and we all just sit home doing nothing???

We need an Economy generating wealth, which means business and leisure AND transportation in ALL forms and we need it effing pronto...
By eltonioni
@skydriller do not get me wrong, everyone needs to go back to work /rest / play and from a purely selfish commercial POV the more building spaces they need to do it in the better. ;)

That’s not to say that everyone needs to drive, use a bus, commute bonkers distances by train, go to work / school at the same time.

Just spreading out the school year* and times of day would have a fantastic effect on road capacity which in turn would enable less valuable real estate given over to traffic and parking and returned to human scale travel modes. Factor in reduced pollution, road deaths / injuries, lower costs, increased personal fitness, cheaper family holidays, lower NHS demands and generally just having nicer places to live, what’s not to like?

* my pet productivity peeve is building hugely expensive schools with wonderful meeting space, gyms, playing fields, libraries, laboratories, etc only for them to spend 40% of their life locked up and inaccessible (yet being vandalised and burned down) by the people who live around them and pay for them. If ever there was a better example of a lack of joined up thinking I’ve not come across it.