Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Charliesixtysix
Miscellaneous wrote:Had a call from and old school mate last week. He's delivering for Halfords and tells me the trucks are full of already sold bikes enroute their new owners.

Should be plenty nearly new second hand bargains available when this is all over. :thumright:

Maybe it's time I dragged the bike out, blew up the tyres and gave it a go. Bit hilly though! :(

If you have not already done so, try a decent e-bike - hills and headwinds will hold no fear. :thumright:

Ignore the naysayers, you will love it.

My e-hybrid has six selectable settings, from zero to +300% available assistance, delivered as a multiplication of rider effort up to max 250W. I tend to pedal with the assist set at zero (or occasionally +50%) for much of a ride on the flat, and only ask it for more help when I want it.
By skydriller
Miscellaneous wrote:@skydriller holy ****, step too far. Not like the French to accept such draconian measures lying down, is it?

I have actually been REALLY surprised at the extent of Police State like rules here. Even though I live on the edge of a village in a rural area, every time I have been to town for shopping, I have indeed been stopped either on the main road or in the town by the Gendarmes and asked for papers. For a long time the French news was a little bit like an official government info channel and its only this last couple of weeks that there has been anything questioning what is going on. Last week there was a "bit of bovver" in a certain part of Paris, but I have been really surprised that there has been no widespread objections to the measures introduced and their enforcement. The last couple of days though the media here seem to be concentrating on whether the country will be allowed to go on their annual holidays...

Regards, SD..
By Miscellaneous
Charliesixtysix wrote:If you have not already done so, try a decent e-bike - hills and headwinds will hold no fear. :thumright:

Ignore the naysayers, you will love it.

I'll confess to being one of those naysayers, until I tried one. I have to agree they are very impressive pieces of kit. Not something for me though.

@skydriller it may not last much longer if they are restricting people to 1km. Is the incidence of infection on the increase, is 1km warranted?
By Jim Jones
Grant Shapps announces £2billion to support walking and cycling

The 12 miles to work has 600ft total climb out, and 1200ft back. How much terrain levelling can £2billion achieve ?

And will they put a roof on?
By johnm
The boy wonder covers a lot of miles in London
By Barcli
If you want a proper e-bike, buy a 1500w motor kit ( from China) , a 48v 13.5 amp hr battery ( from China) and fit it to a good mountain bike .( probably from China)..... oh and forget to fit the pedal assist sensor so its unlimited - 40mph easy....... you will not pedal again in your life . God bless the Chinese :wink:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-bike-Conve ... jArmpW4XLQ
flybymike liked this
By avtur3
Barcli wrote:If you want a proper e-bike, buy a 1500w motor kit ( from China) , a 48v 13.5 amp hr battery ( from China) and fit it to a good mountain bike .( probably from China)..... oh and forget to fit the pedal assist sensor so its unlimited - 40mph easy....... you will not pedal again in your life . God bless the Chinese :wink:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-bike-Conve ... jArmpW4XLQ

Would I be right in thinking that a motorised (hub motor) front wheel is the easiest way to go?

Also, looking at most power wheel options it looks as though battery and charger are a separate item, is that the case ??
By kanga
Much also depends on home/work locations and routes between. One of our brood is in rented room in Acton (NW London). His team within a large and scattered employer was in the process of moving from Victoria to Canary Wharf area. This had meant a change from a perfectly practicable (in most weathers) bike commute to one both much too time-consuming and too dangerous (at former levels of motor traffic); and only Underground was practical. Fortunately, he can work from 'home', and if necessary can go to his almost empty Victoria office (still owned by employer) if physical presence is required.
By johnm
Although I'm walking every day my bike hasn't been on the road this year at all. I might use it to go into town soon if the weather improves again.
By eltonioni
Flyingfemme wrote:Bicycle is fine when the weather is fine....But this is the UK. It won’t last.

There’s no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong clothes.
By malcolmfrost
Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

Also Rule 5 refers!
https://www.velominati.com/
eltonioni liked this