Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Trent772
OK,

I cycle.

I have a very nice Kalkhoff electric cycle that is rather jolly good. And it has a bell !

As everyone, their dog, cat and pigeon seems to be exercising at present, it really p1sses me off that people don't have bells on their bikes any more.

When the current Mrs T (36 years wed tomorrow btw) and I are out dogging, we get bounced by cyclists whizzing by without so much as a Hey, Yo, Tinkle, Ding or anything and the last thing you want is your dogging to be interrupted.

:evil:
Flyin'Dutch', mick w liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Don’t mess about with a snowflake bell - get a bliddy great klaxon!!
ahem - “doggin”. ?
By rikur_
Trent772 wrote:... it really p1sses me off that people don't have bells on their bikes any more.

When the current Mrs T (36 years wed tomorrow btw) and I are out dogging, we get bounced by cyclists whizzing by without so much as a Hey, Yo, Tinkle, Ding or anything and the last thing you want is your dogging to be interrupted.

:evil:

I use the bell as designed to warn walkers on the cyclepath that I'm approaching, and about a third take offence as if it is an aggressive gesture.
Joggers all seem to have headphones in, so I need some sort of claxon.
Cessna571 liked this
By Boxkite
As far as I know, bells or something else are mandated by law.
In some countries pedestrians will shout at a cyclist if they pass from behind without giving a warning. And yet in the UK people take offence, as if the cyclist is demanding a clear path through.
By skydriller
Boxkite wrote:And yet in the UK people take offence, as if the cyclist is demanding a clear path through.

Well, I guess thats because whenever I have been walking the bell IS being used by the cyclist in that way, generally on a pavement.....
By avtur3
Trent772 wrote:OK,

.... When the current Mrs T (36 years wed tomorrow btw) ......

Completely off-topic but Mrs Avtur and myself also 'celebrate' 36 years the same day .... today as it is now.

Mrs A is 10 years younger than me, she was only 19 when we got married (17 and still at school when we first met!). For various reasons our wedding was arranged in something of a rush, it was just 5 weeks and 2 days from deciding to get married to walking down the aisle. There were many comments along the lines of 'she's too young, it won't last'. The reason for the rush was not about impending childbirth, daughter number 1 arrived 5 years later.

We proved them wrong, over the years we've had to deal with the odd problem, about ten years in we went to hell and back (after a business failure, losing the house and everything) but we bounced back. We have two, now adult, daughters of whom we are immensely proud, and we're about to become grandparents for the first time in the first week in June.

Apologies for the off-topic ramble, but at times like this it makes you take stock, and I realise how incredibly bloody lucky I am. Life is good.

Actually I've just thought of a rather tenuous connection to cycling. When we first met Mrs A didn't drive, she cycled everywhere, including the 4 miles to BAe Woodford where she worked at the time. Having talked about 'our future' we knew where we were heading but hadn't made any particular plans. Her bike needed a new tyre so I took her off to the local town centre (Stockport) on the pretext of buying the tyre. On the way, which I had planned, we walked by an "H Samuels" and looked in the window, she spotted an engagement ring she liked so I said, "OK let's go in and buy it" ... that was 'the proposal' which she immediately accepted. We then carried on and bought the bicycle tyre.
Flyin'Dutch', seanxair, eltonioni and 7 others liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
@avtur3

Smoothy! Nice story.
By chevvron
Boxkite wrote:As far as I know, bells or something else are mandated by law.
In some countries pedestrians will shout at a cyclist if they pass from behind without giving a warning. And yet in the UK people take offence, as if the cyclist is demanding a clear path through.

I believe the wording is 'must carry an audible means of warning'.
By chevvron
In my area with narrow country lanes and no footpaths, not only are cyclists taking over the whole width of the road and only reluctantly moving over for motor vehicles but the pedestrians are doing it too; often walking with young kids on scooters who have no inkling of the hazard they present both to themselves and other road users. :evil: :roll:
By malcolmfrost
Boxkite wrote:As far as I know, bells or something else are mandated by law.

They are required to be fitted at the point of sale but not after that, so they get taken off.
By eltonioni
AIUI it's only a legal requirement to have a noisy thing fitted at the point of sale, as are reflectors although lights / reflectors are required after dark.

I've given up with bells. There are few peds on the road and on the occasional shared path foray it's more fun to shout a polite "coming through to your right / left" and slow down until they stop panicking about which is left or right. By the time I'm through their brain still hasn't unscrambled itself so I've no idea what they think. :evil:

There is the double evil Air Zound for those so inclined. :twisted:

Oh, happy anniversary @avtur3 . Enjoy your celebratory dogging. :thumright:
By eltonioni
chevvron wrote:In my area with narrow country lanes and no footpaths, not only are cyclists taking over the whole width of the road and only reluctantly moving over for motor vehicles but the pedestrians are doing it too; often walking with young kids on scooters who have no inkling of the hazard they present both to themselves and other road users. :evil: :roll:

For the avoidance of doubt:

Cyclists ARE traffic and have equivalent rights to be there with attendant responsibilities.

When you are stuck in traffic YOU are the traffic that everyone else is stuck in. Apart from cyclists who are still traffic but not stuck or sticking.

Happy to help :)
Rob P liked this