For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Sooty25
PaulB wrote:Sorry, thick question here....can they only make stuff out of plastic or can they utilise different materials?

Concrete is an option.

Pete L, Colonel Panic liked this
By mmcp42
Dave W wrote:I blame you lot for this.

well - have you built it yet?
made anything?
full report please!
with pictures!!
Dave W, kanga liked this
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's built but not yet christened - I have foolishly got into a position where I am working too long hours getting a big work deliverable out of the door. :?

Will report back idc. :D

Built but prior to setup and testing:
mmcp42, eltonioni liked this
By eltonioni
Sooty25 wrote:
PaulB wrote:Sorry, thick question here....can they only make stuff out of plastic or can they utilise different materials?

Concrete is an option.

The trouble with concrete is that it is a terrible really good thermal transmitter. It is excellent for civils structures but they usually have very specific and onerous structural needs which are difficult to build prove / warranty with 3D printing. Conversely buildings are much simpler but they have very onerous needs in respect to thermal efficiency which printed / extruded concrete is carp at. Unheated farm buildings / hangers / ambient storage etc should be an ideal middle ground in temperate climates but the cost of mobilising 3D printing is prohibitive right now which also makes it prohibitive in tropical climates where budgets are minimal. Robotised construction is so tantalising yet so elusive at the moment.
By stevelup
Dave W wrote:It's built but not yet christened - I have foolishly got into a position where I am working too long hours getting a big work deliverable out of the door. :?

Lucky you... I'm bored sh1tless...
By TheKentishFledgling
stevelup wrote:They are a great toy. Your whole house will be full of random pointless things that you printed.

Problem is the house is already full of random (and often pointless) things, mostly electrical. Purchasing a machine that will allow me to add to this at will seems...reckless :D
By Pete L
Print some boxes for keeping random **** in. Might well be a challenge for the printer itself.

The shiny new cutter I bought as the lockdown toy doesn't have that problem - it can take a roll feed.
By Dave W
TheKentishFledgling wrote:Problem is the house is already full of random (and often pointless) things, mostly electrical. Purchasing a machine that will allow me to add to this at will seems...reckless :D

mmcp42, OCB, TheKentishFledgling and 5 others liked this
By eltonioni
Has anyone any experience of the metal sintering printers? Am only thinking small, ie brackets, handles, knobs etc, not anything with potential to fail harmfully.
skydriller liked this
By mmcp42
ooooh that's big :)