For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Colonel Panic
It is difficult not to be impressed with the technology of these printers; 5 incredibly accurate stepper motors working in perfect harmony with a variety of sensors, heaters, fans, bearings & software. It would be better if it was a tad quicker - this lot took >8 hours to complete - but so far I'm thoroughly enjoying having it.

By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I can see the 2-halves route being a really simple solution.....suggested improvement, make each half hollow,as only the "skin" is structural..-The central "web" will be quite rigid, complete with central cable-tube......while you're at it, extend the dome diameter by a few mil, with a short skirt projecting down the sides of the plug.....this will then give a strong annular slot for the end of the pipe to spigot into. stronger and doubles the sealing protection.

The more I see of this thread, the more interested I become in a 3 D printer !

I can think of only one item ,atm..,-that it would be useful for nice to have, but like the lathe, only used a couple of days every year. :oops:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By stevelup
That's how the 3D printer would print it anyway - the 'slicer' removes the excess interior. You can't print it entirely hollow - there has to be structure to support what you're printing above:-

By PeteSpencer
I guess a small outer lip at 68 mm would be the icing sur le gateau, but not really necessary as I would be smearing the 'piston' sides and the flat mating surfaces and cable slot with 'Gorilla Filler' which will seal everything nicely, before I shove it int' 'ole.

Not sure if anyone has taken up the challenge: though the Colonel certainly did express an interest.....

Peter :wink:
By PeteSpencer
stevelup wrote:You lot all need to go to Barnard Castle - there is a lip!

my mis-terminology , I'm afraid:
Steve the Cock referred to a 'skirt' coming down the outside of the tube at 68mm dia, presumably for greater waterproofing:
This is what I was referring to when I said 'lip'.

May all be academic though if there are no takers!
Willing to pay material costs, time and P & P.

Peter
By PeteSpencer
Colonel Panic wrote:I have already printed one half - the rest will follow tmrw. I might even include a lip too ....

Fan-bloody-tastic!

You are a star mon colonel: All my lockdown projects are coming to fruition together, ready for the final Gorilla Filler putsch....
Thank you to all you 3D printer-philes.

Peter :thumleft:
By Colonel Panic
I printed one half this morning, but by the time it comes out I fear that 65mm might be too tight a fit in the tube; so I have cloned @stevelup 's design, reduced the lower diameter to 63mm, and inserted a "drip-lip" (which I think is what you wanted). Diameter of top section remains 75mm, with a 10mm hole down the middle. I should be able to get this off to you tomorrow - can you PM me your address?

PS If I have misunderstood anything, now would be a good time to shout!

Flyin'Dutch' liked this