Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
Yep I guess I shouldn’t be too harsh on the squirrel.

Our back fence backs onto a playing field and is 3 metres high to reduce balls coming over .

The top metre ( my neighbours fence in image) is trellis with narrow capping strip which directly adjoins our fence so the squirrel has a 50 metre aerial run 3 metres up as he cases the other neighbours’ joints for food .

So he’s sky lined and perfect for a pot shot

However the grandchildren (who they?) love him so I guess he’s pretty safe . :roll:

Peter
By Propwash
PeteSpencer wrote: so I guess he’s pretty safe . :roll:

I'd say as you no longer have your rifle, and can't get out to buy a new one, he's ironclad. :wink:

PW
By Cowshed
We live not far from the centre of Worcester. The birdsong seems more abundant and vibrant than ever. Got plenty of frogs too (frog spawn appeared in the garden pond in February). No swallows yet that I've noticed.

Our blight is seagulls. Had one lay on our roof last year and produced a chick. Bl**dy aggressive and noisy things. Over winter I've worked out the anti-seagull measures I was going to apply, but unfortunately covid19 has postponed it. The house is three stories with a pitched roof, so it needs scaffolding to get up there.

2 years ago we replaced our leaking skylight with a velux one that opens and is controlled by a wireless controller. The idea was that on really hot days we can create a chimney effect through the house. It's 16 feet up from the 2nd floor. My interim anti-seagull measure is a flag attached to several lengths of wood which I can get up through the skylight. It really discombulates them, but I can't deploy it when it is too windy or raining. But I do get a perverse pleasure winding them up.
By rf3flyer
Spotted this visitor yesterday but by the time I'd got the camera he/she had their head under the boards trying to get into the shed, so this is the best shot I got.
By PeteSpencer
[quote="Cowshed"{

Our blight is seagulls.

[/quote]

Although we are nearly 40 miles from the coast we get screaming flocks of seagulls attracted by someone 100 yds up the road who seems to feed them .

They sit on the apex of our roof (2 storey house) but we have a steel flue liner from the stove in the lounge for our pseudo(gas fired ) log burner.

Atop this on the chimney is a flat rain cover and the chief gull sits on this squawking its box off which is amplified by the flue liner and is deafening indoors.

I clearly need some anti bird spikes on the chimney but in the interim I’m thinking of getting a compressed air horn like those beloved of the yotties and blasting it up the chimney

Peter
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cowshed liked this
By Cowshed
PeteSpencer wrote:Atop this on the chimney is a flat rain cover and the chief gull sits on this squawking its box off which is amplified by the flue liner and is deafening indoors.

I clearly need some anti bird spikes on the chimney but in the interim I’m thinking of getting a compressed air horn like those beloved of the hotties and blasting it up the chimney

We have the same type of seagull observation position. With our neighbour, there are 6 pots on that stack. They all have had spikes on which do the job, but the mistake we made was changing one of them to a cowling when we later had a stove installed. The seagulls love it. When we can get up there I plan to re-fix spikes round the cowling and probably fix a 200mm coach bolt through the middle of it too for good measure.

I've been tempted to light the stove, even in summer, when a seagull is perched in it. Hadn't thought about the air horn - might give it a go.
By Trent772
And as Spring races on........

There's only one way to get rid of a mole.......

Call Dave :thumleft:

By Trent772
I know, I know..... they may be cute and furry, but they wreck the paddock, cause holes and divots that our Doris could twist her ankle on and drive us mad.

Why can't we just have a chat and say - have a corner of the field, play nicely and I won't kill you... Hasn't worked thus far :pirat:
By PeteSpencer
Martin the Mole man and Harry (Jack Russell) seem to have got rid of our airstrip moles permanently in the last three years.

Oops I may regret saying that..................

Peter :roll:
By Miscellaneous
What's happened to this thread, has Spring gone? :(

I decided it's time for a shout out for the song of the common old Blackbird. It has been thrilling us for a few weeks now. I reckon many will be unaware the bird song they find so pleasing to the ear is the Blackbird. :D
Rob L liked this