Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
Ridders wrote:Pete, is that your “Ah, Mr Bond, We have been expecting you” pose?

:D

One of our trees has blossomed for the couple of days It does every year, it’s now back to just a green’un.
Isn’t nature beautiful?

Nah I just can't do selfies: I keep dropping the 'kin phone. :roll:

And Loki is a bit of a reluctant photo-star.

Gorgeous blossom : I miss our massive magnolia which had to come down for our newbuild development : It used to look fantastic with flowers way ahead of the leaves: Except one in three years it got hit by early frosts and turned into a 'teabag-tree.'

Peter :wink:
By Bill McCarthy
Exotic shrubs don’t stand a chance in the far north due to very cold northerlies. The only thing that gives us “cheer” is Ribes (flowering currant) and indeed, it makes a very good windbreak.
Massive V formations of geese still heading north - it’s interesting to see them fly along the coast before making the final decision to take the long overseas journey to Greenland. It actually gives you a strange feeling that you are being left behind !
Swallows don’t appear until around the 23rd April on past observations.
The oats breather are up !
Grass is slow to get that sheen which indicates non stressed growth.
Wild duck are going nuts in my ditches where the frog spawn reside.
Flyin'Dutch', mick w liked this
By Trent772
Set out to establish a wood in the paddock next to the house 3 years ago. I knew I would need to keep the grass down until they establish, so twice a year, I hire a DR Brushcutter and set to. 20,500 steps and 6 hours later..... Voila. Happy paddock and happy trees.

By Trent772
And no trees left..... :pale:

I lost one Elm to sheep - the sheep was tasty though, the others are surviving - part of the Elm Experiment.

The Sequoia has finally decided to become a tree instead of a bush and the Aspen are racing away.

Back to work..... :thumleft:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By robert79
Charliesixtysix wrote:One real positive to take from this strange time is how nice it is to crop walk and hear nature rather than traffic.

Commented to my wife that he other day that the bird song seemed more abundant this year. Then I realised there was no distant din from the race track at Snetterton. Can sound like anything from a swarm of bees to a really loud and intrusive noise where you can hear every gear shift, depending upon weather conditions and what's racing. 4 miles away as the crow flies, so my **** do they comply with the 85 decibel noise restriction.
One silver lining of the present situation.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By johnm
Swallows appeared in small numbers in Glos, The first iris collection has flowered and trees are in blossom, hay fever meds in use, assorted pruning and grass tending underway....
By PeteSpencer
Finally managed to get someone to deliver a single 13ft scaffolding plank so I can divide off the side/back garden and let the tortoises out of their runs and roam free.

Boys on one side, girls on the other.

My tortoise breeding days are over.....

Peter :roll:
By Bill McCarthy
Was heavy rolling a field yesterday - there is a derelict croft house at one end and the heavy scent of aniseed wafted from the Myrrhis as I passed by - it grows like weeds. There are fabulous Byzantine Gladioli in the same area, not out yet but the colour is fantastic when in bloom. Rhubarb too is about to shoot. Altogether, an undisturbed garden from aeons ago.
By PeteSpencer
lobstaboy wrote:First swallow just now in North Norfolk.
Phew...

Oh Gawd! I hope they've gone back to the Eastern Hangar where they usually nest and our Western Hangar anti-swallow precautions are holding.....

Peter :wink:
By PeteSpencer

Bloody squirrel is after the birds nuts again.

I wish now I hadn’t given my .22 air rifle away when we downsized

Peter :evil:
By Propwash
I have a similar problem, Pete. At the bottom of the garden there is a huge oak tree which homes a family of those things. My birdfeeders have to be encased in metal cages to keep them out. Mind you, watching their antics from the patio or the back, garden-facing room can be quite amusing. I find squirrels a bit like the Curate's egg.

The oak tree also attracts a woodpecker which, although he doesn't live there, visits daily throughout the year and uses the peanut holder. Every year either mum or dad (and I can tell the difference :wink: ) brings the young along to teach them the ropes and have been doing that for years. Shouldn't be too long now before they appear.

PW