For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Nick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:What's happened to this thread, has Spring gone? :(

I decided it's time for a shout out for the song of the common old Blackbird. It has been thrilling us for a few weeks now. I reckon many will be unaware the bird song they find so pleasing to the ear is the Blackbird. :D

LEROY

Nick
By Miscellaneous
Nick wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:What's happened to this thread, has Spring gone? :(

I decided it's time for a shout out for the song of the common old Blackbird. It has been thrilling us for a few weeks now. I reckon many will be unaware the bird song they find so pleasing to the ear is the Blackbird. :D

LEROY

Nick

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
By johnm
Blackbirds and larks around here as well as the cooing of pigeons. Swallows are back just keeping an eye out for the swifts and martins now.....Irises started blooming almost two weeks early, though the change in weather may slow them down a bit now.
By Trent772
Cleared all the ivy off the north wall and re sited the tit boxes. We now have a sparra that has taken up in the tit box. To watch it try get in and out is a laugh, but I can't disturb it and enlarge the hole !

And still no owl in the owl box :evil:
By Miscellaneous
Not sure if it’s a sign of spring, but we’ve been watching Minke whales this afternoon. :D Sadly not easy to get pics of. :(

What I did notice when out collecting some wild garlic to go with this evening’s skate and for the lockdown larder, was the spring wild flora. Spring really is here, although today feels more like mid Summer. :thumright:
mick w liked this
By Miscellaneous
From Minke whales on Wednesday to being enthralled by a beautiful pair of Bull Finches today. Apparently although fairly common they are not known for making themselves visible. Not expecting them to stay long I took a couple of snaps through the window with my phone. 20 mins later I got a proper camera and yes, they flew off. :roll:

Absolutely fascinating to watch them feed. :thumright:

Cowshed liked this
By Propwash
Today the forecast here is for 25° and it is already well on the way to that in my garden. Tomorrow the forecast is for strong winds in the afternoon and on Monday down to 11°. That means, with the low overnight temps, having to take the tomatoes back inside; lucky we put them in pots this year rather grow bags as normal. The courgettes have just gone out because they were too big for the pots they were started off in and the sprouts won't be far behind for the same reason. Salad stuff like spring onions, radishes etc won't like these temperature swings either. Don't I have enough to worry about? :twisted:

PW
By Miscellaneous
Propwash wrote:Today the forecast here is for 25°...

You're taking the ****…it's on the deck here with viz about 550m. :(

Enjoy, I'm envious. :D
By Jim Jones
My pologoniums have overwintered outside and are growing nicely
I’ll get the bubble wrap on them this evening .
By Miscellaneous
Propwash wrote:England innit. :lol:

Oh ye of short memory. It's not so very long ago since it was exactly the opposite. :D

Here, for you lot that get a nose bleed if you venture further north than 52 degrees, feast your eyes and delight in my misery. For I know this is your stereo typical view of Scotland. :lol:

Actually I took these out walking last night and to be honest it was fantastic, very quiet with the mist adding to the eeriness and mystique with only bird song for company. For the first time ever I knowingly saw cuckoos (there were other non common birds I couldn't identify :oops: ).

Truth be known it is magnitudes poorer this morning and I'd happily settle if we could revert to the misty dry stillness of last night. :D
Cowshed liked this
By OCB
With lockdown calm, we’ve had woodpeckers venturing closer - not seen one in the garden, but they’re close.

Last night I invited the missus to stand on the back balcony and listen. We’ve been in the house 10 years, and it’s the first time I’d heard it - several thousand frogs croaking their little hearts out, looking for love!
By Bill McCarthy
Two days ago, the sun was roasting my back when working outside - today, snow in the hills and a biting wind. Yet still, the larks keep singing their hearts out.
By johnm
Larks, swallows, swifts (at last!) a whole range of tits, sparrows, woodpeckers as well as magpies, buzzards and pigeons.

The irises are coming out by the hour and the rambling rose across the front of the house is showing the early signs of a good show.

Hopefully the wind and chill won't do too much damage......