For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Timothy
Visa is accepted everywhere, but our Chip'n'Pin is not compatible with their EFTPOS, so you have to press the Credit Card button, which then allows you to sign instead of entering your PIN.

Banks are a bit hard to come by in the sticks.

Personally I took a pocketful of cash, mostly paid with Visa, but paying for small things in cash, then handed what was left of the cash to the Tsunami appeal at the airport.

Worked for me.
By Timothy
Yes, departure tax is $NZ25 per person. I can't remember if CC was acceptable, I paid in cash.

The other thing to remember about NZ is that, with the exception of some parts of Auckland, crime is almost unheard of, so there is no worry about being mugged for cash or CCs.
By CESSNA185
Timothy wrote:
The other thing to remember about NZ is that, with the exception of some parts of Auckland, crime is almost unheard of, so there is no worry about being mugged for cash or CCs.

You have really gotta stop giving your opinion on NZ, just because you did a little two week trip doesnt mean you know the place :roll:
For a start NZ is full of crime. Did you pass through Rotorua? that's New Zealands crime capital, remember Taupo? last time I was there I had my DC headset, suitcase, wallet, cellphone and jacket stolen! End of last year when I was in Wellington I caught some prat trying to pick pocket me! My friend living in Queenstown had her house burgled one night. The list goes on Im afraid.

If you come to NZ with similar views to Tim, believing there is little crime, you and your money wont last long at all.
By Timothy
Ah, well, my opinion was only repeated from friends in Wellington and ChCh, obviously my experience is not first hand. However, they were very relaxed about it, and when I asked why, they explained that crime rates were exceptionally low. Indeed it was one of the reasons that the Wellington couple moved back there from London.
By timarnot
I found that travellers cheques were pretty much the cheapest way. Both c/card and cash machines, although convenient wanted to charge a currency conversion fee (c/card was pretty small, but the debit card in the ATM was OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive -- 4.9%!! This was Lloyds TSB.) With cash on the High Street (eg Thomas Cook etc), there was a small fee, but they do a zero-fee buyback afterwards. However the banks were doing NZ$ travellers cheques at good rates and with zero fees for both buy and sell.

Okay, you need to find a bank to cash them, but I didn't find any problems there.