For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Colonel Panic
Ever since I moved away from my previous multi-AP Apple Airport wifi system to a mix of mainly Unifi UAP & a couple of Apple Airport wifi system, mobile devices have been much less willing to switch from one AP to another as I move around the house.

Does making SSID names the same (or different) make much difference to a devices' eagerness to latch on to a new & stronger SSID?

Or should I concentrate on making the AP channels either overlap or not overlap? I can't remember which is the most important.

TIA
By rjc101
Keep the SSID the same, for both 2G and 5G bands, if you want to seamlessly roam between access points. Channel wise, they should not overlap if possible.

So for 2G only use channels 1, 6, and 11 as otherwise they do overlap. No issues in the 5G band, all the channels are separate.

With the UniFi you can set the AP's to not accept a connection when the signal level is low, this can help "steer" devices to roam between access points but it does need tweaking depending on number of AP's and the specific install.

As said above, it's simpler to just move over to the UniFi gear. I did that a while ago now, not looked back since.