Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
This lockdown is playing havoc with my attempts to lose weight (started in January)

Our Waitrose priority deliveries are bringing us stuff a cut above our usual Aldi /Tesco fare and we picked up a bargain load of fish from wholesalers left with too much stock.
Tonight ‘er indoors knocked up a fantastic meal of Haddock loins and scallops in the most divine sauce,

All paid for by our non consumption of petrol .

I suppose it’s got to end sometime

Peter :wink:
By rf3flyer
PeteSpencer wrote:...Haddock loins...

Do fish have loins? Well, maybe if they come from a Chinese wet market... :wink:

Re your weight loss havoc point and from another source:
Covid-10
The 10lbs in weight that we’re all gaining from comfort-eating and comfort-drinking. Also known as “fattening the curve”.
kanga liked this
By Propwash
PeteSpencer wrote:This lockdown is playing havoc with my attempts to lose weight (started in January)

I feel your pain, Pete.

For the first time in my life I am trying to lose weight which I put on over the winter, again a novel experience for me. I had always thought, never having had any trouble maintaining a steady weight, that people who complained about the difficulty of losing it just lacked willpower. I only need to lose half a stone to get back to my fighting weight but despite my best efforts this lockdown has not done me any favours. It doesn't help that my wife is a qualified cordon bleu cook and is serving up some irresistible meals, mainly I think to alleviate her boredom. Given that we are trapped at home together for the foreseeable future I can't afford to offend her. :wink:

Pinning my hopes now on summer coming and living on more salads. Then again a glass of wine in the sunshine is pretty hard to resist. :( I suppose as long as my clothes still fit it can't be too bad. :lol:

PW
By Flyingfemme
Need advice from the breadcrafters.............onto my fourth no-knead loaf now. I cut down on the water and “folded” just before throwing into the oven, in the hope of getting a more “boule shaped” loaf Instead of a cowpat. Shape is much better but the loaf is a bit doughy inside...............toasts up a treat, so not a total loss.
By nallen
@Flyingfemme How long did you cook it for? Also, I have been leaving the dough for 30 minutes after folding it into a ball before it goes in the oven (some people say longer…)

I put my casserole in the oven, lid off (but also in the oven); turn to full (250°C) and give it 30 minutes to get everything hot; then put the dough in, put the lid on and give it 10 minutes before turning down to 210°C; then after another 20 minutes I take the lid off for the final 30-minute bake. This seems to work fine for a 400g flour loaf.
By Flyingfemme
Subtle differences. I do 220 degrees with lid on pot for 30 mins to “hot soak”. Then 30 mins in the pot and 15 more with lid off. I guess it’s trial and error.......and more toast!
By nallen
15 min with the lid off may be just a bit too short -- I pulled one of my early attempts out at that point, as I thought it was getting overdone … and it was slightly underdone inside. Since then, I've left them in longer -- and they have definitely been better as a result.
By Propwash
seanxair wrote:I will be having some with olive oil and balasmic vinegar dip with my glass of wine at 18:00hrs

1800hrs? You have more restraint than me. I am on my first G&T while waiting for the charcoal BBQ to be ready to go. It is the weekend. Roast beef joint today. Yum Yum!

PW
seanxair liked this
By nallen
Flyingfemme wrote:How much longer do you keep them in?

I do 30 min lid off for the final bake (so 1 hour total: 30 min lid on; 30 min lid off). That's at 210°C in a fan oven (after the initial blast I mentioned). The last couple of loaves have "domed" almost to the height of my Le Creuset…
By Miscellaneous
It's alright for you lot south of the border where restrictions are eased and you can start running down the lockdown larder reserves. Some of us up here have to continue stocking ours.

I doubt it will spend long in the larder though. :D

Paul_Sengupta liked this
By Flyingfemme
More fabulous bread for me today.....although I’ve been instructed that half my loaf is to be delivered to the mother-in-law. Not sure if the intention is to cheer her up (nice, fresh bread), to cheer her up (see what a pig’s ear your daughter-in-law makes of the simplest task) or to finish her off!