Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By kanga
An 'organic veg box home delivery' service operates from Devon. They deliver to Gloucestershire once a week, and one of our neighbours uses them. They are pricey, though!

At the beginning of the lockdown we registered with them as potential customers, but could easily see that all their delivery slots were taken for quite a while, and there were news reports that they were 'swamped' with new customers. Today, someone from them called, solicitous about our welfare (of course :wink: ), having noted that we had registered but had not ordered anything. They had just revamped their website, and invited us to take a look. So in a few weeks they've gone from 'barely coping' to 'needing to do some proactive marketing'. Encouraging as a sign both of enterprise and that panic buying may be over, I guess :)

[cautionary note: we also ordered online something needed by us but retailed at 'non-essential' stores which were now closed. One was now newly doing home delivery. About a week after delivery, someone from that store called to say that they'd discovered malware in their order processing software, and we might want to keep an eye on our credit card charges. Today, after about a further week, we were called (robotically) by the CC company (who had not initially recommended getting a new card when we first enquired) saying that their antifraud measures had picked up a suspicious transaction (not large, not abroad, but in London), and was it ours ? It was not, nor were 2 others attempted today about which we called when we 'phoned in. New card now on its way .. I guess there may be many businesses newish to so much online retailing who may have been installing vulnerable software]
By Bill McCarthy
Just in case anyone was wondering how the runt of the 4 lamb “litter” (second left in the last photo) got on here goes - had fluid on the lungs for a time but made it in the end due to nursing by Mrs

nallen, Paul_Sengupta, kanga and 3 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
Nice: showed it to my grand-daughter who had been fretting over the little brown runty one.
With hindsight I shouldn't have shown the the pic of quads.....

Peter :roll:
By Trent772
Just tried it for the first time this morning.......

Now guess what it is :mrgreen:

It is either yummy, or yucky - depends on your palate sophistication :pirat:
By Trent772
PeteSpencer wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:If you come across tins of corned beef from the early ‘60s, I would give it a miss. The typhoid outbreak of then was traced to imported tins of Argentinian corned beef. .

I remember it well: Fray Bentos were dunking their recently sealed tins of corned beef to cool down after tinning straight in the River Plate, (at least into water drawn untreated from the river Plate) one of the most polluted rivers in christendom at the time.

The partial vacuum caused by condensation of steam in the tins allowed River Plate water complete with salmonella typhi to be sucked in through minor imperfections in the solder/sealing of the tin lids.

Peter :puker:

Cose,

Different country and different river :pirat:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018 ... a-meat-pie
By Genghis the Engineer
A link some might like - Wensleydale Creamery - we just made a big order and have started on a couple of the cheeses (and the fruit cake) - absolutely superb quality and pretty reasonable prices. https://www.wensleydale.co.uk/shop/

I've got into buying catering size quantities of stuff, and created some extra storage space. Things I've decided I particularly like (mostly bought on eBay or Amazon)...

- Ahmed brand jelly crystals. For fruit jellies, trifles, etc. Also bought but not yet tried their packet creme caramel. Incidentally weetabix are a good substitute for trifle sponge.

- Mixed dried veg.

- Polenta. Not a new discovery, and I generally have several cornflours in, but have been increasingly playing with it. Can make a decent paneer substitute in curries.

- Cocoa. Bought a kilo bag of it online, making it properly, will never bother with instant hot chocolate again.

- Lamb. Bought a shoulder of lamb delivered from a local butcher. For some reason it's not a meat I've ever used much bar lamb mince: I have become a serious convert. Yesterday made a really stunning lamb and potato tagine.

- Italian type 1 flour. I bought it as it was the cheapest online (I got a 25kg sack delivered for £37 all in). It's pretty much like a 50/50 white/wholemeal mix, and a great all-purpose flour for bread, roux, naan, you name it. Not yet tried it for making pasta or tortilla - but will.

After that most valued are the mixed fruit and veg box from my local farm shop, and fresh eggs from the milkman.

I notice that with the time to prepare them, I'm making much more use of "proper" meat of any sort, rather than processed meats (sausages, bacon, etc.)

Most utterly useless ingredient I have bought - dried peas. Soak for 48 hours, boil for 2, with or without bicarb, and they still taste like cardboard. They are now being used for firing at the local pigeons, just for fun.

I have been eying these folks up with a view to possibly a reasonable sized order sometime. The fishing community seem to have really got themselves together at the moment... https://www.call4fish.com/ourlocations

G
Last edited by Genghis the Engineer on Fri May 01, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
By stevelup
kanga wrote:An 'organic veg box home delivery' service operates from Devon. They deliver to Gloucestershire once a week, and one of our neighbours uses them. They are pricey, though!

Well that's environmentally sound isn't it... But I guess there's no alternative given the lack of farms in Gloucestershire...
By Bill McCarthy
All I can think about is bread and butter pudding with lashings of real custard !
By OCB
My 8 yr old son said to me this morning,
“Dad, it’s Sunday - shall I start peeling the apples so you can make an apple pie?”

After the 3rd attempt of him saying the same thing - admittedly in French (which I understood perfectly) - my brain was still doing a “divided by zero”.

It was Sunday.
He was offering to help.
There were no preconditions.

I’ll say this for lockdown, it has its cute moments.
kanga, T6Harvard liked this