Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
TheKentishFledgling wrote:Bearing in mind we're in Canterbury, Mrs tKF just got a request for help from someone in...the Orkneys :shock:

I’d check that the app thinks you are where you think you are (see above). :)
I signed up since this thread started as a transport driver. I’ve been available all that time and no sniff of an alert and I haven’t heard of anyone else either. I’m also signed up for a charity operation doing the same sort of thing, but again no requests.....
I had my second false alarm this morning. Will probably remove the app in the next few days.

Meantime, my 75 yo dad is still going shopping to the co-op over the road from the local C19 centre. It would be nice if a local volunteer could pick up milk and bread for him but there's no way of getting one of the million volunteers to drop some off.
Same here. Had a virtual conflab with others in the village and nothing at all for them either.

Then we have various groups posting on our Facebook community saying they are looking for volunteers.

Left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing. Now when people are asking for volunteers we’re reminding them that a small army of people have volunteered already, have the tools to volunteer, but are sat idle.
Surely in a small village with a community focus you'd always be better organising this sort of thing between yourselves rather than asking the state to do it?

What I don't know is how the recipients who might benefit (like (was it) @eltonioni 's Dad) are identified
kanga liked this
Same here, registered with NHS Scotland through Red Cross now being asked to register using the procedure as per NHS England, don't think I'll bother sending passport and other personal details in to the ether if there's no point.

I also registered with Social Services locally and had a call from Inverness just to confirm, nowt from them since.

Started co-ordinating a prescription delivery service, delivered one and Royal Mail stepped in and took it over…that makes a lot of sense. :thumright:

I'm available, let's hope none of us are needed. :D :thumright:
eltonioni wrote:I had my second false alarm this morning. Will probably remove the app in the next few days.

Meantime, my 75 yo dad is still going shopping to the co-op over the road from the local C19 centre. It would be nice if a local volunteer could pick up milk and bread for him but there's no way of getting one of the million volunteers to drop some off.

In Haslemere a local Facebook group has been set up with a call centre to direct requests, we leafletted the houses in our area and my wife has picked up prescriptions several times for people in isolation. Nextdoor for your area might be a good place to start.
kanga liked this
TheKentishFledgling wrote:Nothing via the app here, seems odd but clearly not unusual.

Local FB groups are proving very effective for helping get basic supplies, prescriptions etc to those who need a hand around these parts.

No (crappy) app here either but a very active FB group which has put flyers around, under the assumption that those in need are unlikely to be on social media, and sorting stuff out.

Those who are in quarantine are either ill, and get full pay sick pay, or if in quarantine as contact and not sick, get full pay from employer who will get 100% back from the state. All those get local group support where needed.
eltonioni wrote:

Local social services should be coordinating help for those at risk and putting volunteers in place. Might be worth dropping them a line.