Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
According to the news the scheme kicks off today. While there are lots of volunteers (well done all) how does somebody take advantage of the volunteer pool if you're not already within the orbit of the wider social services?

eg Mrs E's 85 yo mum or my 75 yo dad who are both very hale and hearty, not on anyone's lists apart from the local GP and self-isolating *except* when they go out to the risky places like the shops, chemist, surgery, etc. There must be millions like them and you try stopping them. The local volunteer errand runners could head them off at the pass for the mundane risky stuff if they weren't slipping through the net.
I suspect *loads* of people are slipping through the net. Some who are in great need appear to be invisible.

That's not to diminish the difficulty of compiling lists of vulnerable people when the IT to support it is largely disjointed.
GrahamB wrote:Mrs GB and I had just got back from our early evening constitutional yesterday and my phone blared out a siren call.

I accepted the call in the app, but nothing happened - no message , no text, no call, and the app played dumb. I went to the map page to get ‘directions to patient’ and it came back with an ‘invalid destination’ message.

I assume it was a glitch or false ‘buzz’ from someone.

Just had the same experience. Not sure this idea is working very well, one more like that and it will be ignored.
One doesn’t want to be overly negative about this, but I’d try testing where the app thinks you are located.

I have just used the ‘Show where I am’ button which sends a link via email, according to which I’m somewhere off the west coast of Africa!

I’m not expecting to be busy.
MikeE liked this
GrahamB wrote:One doesn’t want to be overly negative about this, but I’d try testing where the app thinks you are located.

I have just used the ‘Show where I am’ button which sends a link via email, according to which I’m somewhere off the west coast of Africa!

I’m not expecting to be busy.

Isn’t “off the West coast of Africa” where the equator crosses the Greenwich meridian? As Stevelup asked, are you sure you’ve given the app access to location services?
@PaulB @stevelup

Yep, from the outset it’s been on ‘Always’.

I’ve just switched it off and on again, and same thing.

Edit: Bizarre. I’ve just tried again, switching from ‘Always’ to ‘While using App’ and back again, and it now works. :thumright:
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Really odd... Is your map view centred on you and can you see other responders nearby?

There’s a slider in settings where you can tell it what resolution of location data to use. I’ve actually got mine all the way to the left and it still found my garden, but maybe try setting it to the right.

-edit- bah, edity-mc-editface
stevelup wrote:Really odd... Is your map view centred on you and can you see other responders nearby?

See above, we crossed - yes, map view always showed the device in the right place, with other responders visible. But now fixed. :)
eltonioni wrote:.. how does somebody take advantage of the volunteer pool if you're not already within the orbit of the wider social services?... The local volunteer errand runners could head them off at the pass for the mundane risky stuff if they weren't slipping through the net.

~2 weeks ago our Parish (once a separate village, now effectively a suburb, but with its own Parish Council) organised a scheme whereby in every Street every household would be leafleted, and the leaflets would give 'phone #s and email addresses of all the 'less vulnerable' in the Street who would be willing to help the 'vulnerable', particularly citing shopping as a possible request. In our Street about half the households have named themselves as 'willing'. We (2 'oldies') haven't had to use them (yet!). :thumright:

I gather that this is being done in all Parishes in the parent Borough, and I assume in many other places also. Here, the initiative came from the Anglican Diocese, I believe (the civil and ecclesiastical Parish boundaries largely coincide), but has been non-denominational and secular in orgaisation and presentation; one of 'our' volunteers is my young Gujarati (believed Hindu) neighbour. Local TV news one evening showed a local Mosque as the epicentre of a similar (also non-denominational) initiative.