Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I'm puzzled: I've just sat through watching an interview on telly with a virologist/epidemiologist on the need for the two metre rule as the virus is shed by coughing/ sneezing. She went on to say that even talking to someone in a room the virus can spread in the air in droplet form, worse if its a small/stuffy room.

I get all that.

We are told that face masks as we know them are useless as they get soggy within minutes.

I get that too.

We mustn't touch our faces at that is the portal of entry for viruses picked up from door knobs and shiny stainless steel surfaces.

I get that.

Clearly access to/from the face/mouth should be blocked for obvious reasons .

I get that as well.

So why hasn't somebody come up with a cheap but durable non- disposable mask (non metal containing) that can be removed every say, couple of hours and sterilised in a domestic microwave?

Or perhaps they have? If such a thing exists I'd gladly pay a tenner for a couple to rotate in use.It would have the dual effect of reducing sneeze-spread and prevent us continually touching our faces, which I'm told we do dozens of times per hour.

I don't mind looking a dork in Tesco if it reduced my chances of croaking early.

Cue the usual inane comments and pictures of welding gear> This is supposed to be a serious post :lol:

I’d be pleased to hear the considered opinion of anyone in the Medical Devices industry

Peter :wink:
There are lots of reusable masks designed for activities such as paint spraying or working with particulate materials, The minimum size of particle they let through will depend on the flters used. A search for resuable particulate mask will find lots. You may even find one in stock. AIUI the filters will need replacing occasionally. They seem to have values so you aren't breating out through the filter, this will help to stop it getting soggy.
A number of our Parents Association are doctors, dentists, anaesthetists, surgeons etc.

One posted advice yesterday which basically went:

1. You can sterilise a paper mask. 15 mins @80oC in the oven.
2. To protect a PPF2, put a surgical mask over the PPF2.

I have wondered about the efficacy of a hydrophilic/hydrophobic sprayable layer on top of paper or cotton masks*

*copyright OCB 2020...royalty fee of 1 euro cent....
Red liked this
I don’t know what the permeability of cotton cloth is for virus but I do know that you can put it in the microwave safely. I have some “bowl cosies” made of two layers of cotton fabric with a cotton wadding sandwich between that are microwaved repeatedly and put through a hot wash every so often without suffering degradation.
I was already thinking of making some washable “sneeze masks” for personal use and hadn’t thought of microwaving as well as washing. Thanks, Pete. I have a chronic cough (10 years) and may start wearing a mask to make other people feel better.
Thanks, JB. Interesting. As a home sewist I’d say that they picked two fairlyunsuitable fabrics to test - both are quite loosely made and have large-ish holes. I was considering using tightly woven cottons, curtain lining being quite good, and a triple layer construction of three different fabrics. Something to do indoors!
JonathanB wrote:https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/diy-homemade-mask-protect-virus-coronavirus/

Thanks JB I learnt several things from that:

One being that properly constituted (not cheapo disp.) masks remain eff ective for virus filtration for a long time after they get wet and
:
They're all sold out.

Peter :wink:
I caught the end of a feature on the Wales news last night about a company which has been developing some sort of persistent anti-viral for a number of years with one of the hospitals, and were in the final stages of testing a snood impregnated with it.
GrahamB wrote:I caught the end of a feature on the Wales news last night about a company which has been developing some sort of persistent anti-viral for a number of years with one of the hospitals, and were in the final stages of testing a snood impregnated with it.

possibly the snood mentioned herein:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52008745
GrahamB liked this
Being in the nuclear side of things for nearly 50 years I’d been wearing face masks, airline suits and all sorts of breathing apparatus over that time I can tell you that with some of the high end face masks, breathing can be laboured, especially if the work rate increases - they just can’t pass enough air through the filters. The cheap masks are worse than useless - you may think that you are getting protection but you are not due to airflow bypassing round bad fitting around the face.
In Japan it's certainly not the fact that you're protecting yourself by wearing the masks, rather that you don't cough and sneeze all over the place. If both parties have masks then the risks are drastically reduced. It's not perfect but it didn't take very long to get used to wearing one whenever out and about. Having said that, we're wearing them all the time when going into offices, classrooms etc. It's really not a big deal.

At this time of year most of Japan seems to wear them anyway because it's cherry blossom season and they all seem to get hay fever :D