For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Pete L wrote:Trying to think of a new hobby to take up that respects social distancing.

For some reason the Jeeves & Wooster episode about Bertie taking up the trombone keeps coming to mind.

In the book it was a banjolele. I've tried and failed to find the reason why they changed it for the TV show. In both instances, Jeeves resigned because of it.

T6Harvard liked this
To be fair, I believe that relations also (temporarily) soured over a moustache, a fedora and a checked suit - and probably many I no longer remember - so the Trombone/Ukulele (Banjolele?) was hardly unique :lol:
Good as the TV series were, I'd still recommend the books over the show - I found myself relating much more to the Wooster in the books (ie my head) than I did to Hugh Lawrie on the screen. Reading the books you can then also dip into the stories from Mr Mulliner or the Oldest Member, Lord Emsworth (also not a bad TV series, btw), Psmith etc. etc.
Wodehouse is certainly good lockdown entertainment!
kanga, akg1486, JAFO and 2 others liked this
The books are riddled with nuggets like these:
PG Wodehouse wrote:"There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
"The mood will pass, sir."

PG Wodehouse wrote:"I am familiar with the name Bassington-Bassington, sir. There are three branches of the Bassington-Bassington family - the Shropshire Bassington-Bassingtons, the Hampshire Bassington-Bassingtons, and the Kent Bassington-Bassingtons."
"England seems pretty well stocked up with Bassington-Bassingtons."
"Tolerably so, sir."
"No chance of a sudden shortage, I mean, what?"
"Presumably not, sir."
JAFO, Morten, T6Harvard liked this
The books are indeed riddled with nuggets. Truly 'laugh out loud' stuff.
I admit that now I read the books hearing Hugh Lawrie and Steven Fry and they are no worse for that.
*scurries off to find next reading material*

Not as 'entertaining' per se, but written with a great sense of humour is Diana Barnato Walker's autobiography. Have just finished it and thoroughly enjoyed it.