For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I recall a great film of the early ‘70s we had on board - American Graffiti, with a great soundtrack of the ‘50s running through it. It never seems to get an airing on the box - may be something to do with sound track royalties. Features teenage years of the 60s - my era!
The somber bit however is at the end credits - characters depicted in the film who later went missing in Vietnam and perished in road accidents. Worth getting an updated digital version of it.
Was it American Graffiti where the youth chained the back axle of the Police car to something solid, so as the Police attempted to set off in chase all they did was rip out the back axle?

I caught a bit of Costner's Robin Hood yesterday and the Merry Men performed a similar trick on the rich man's coach.
Charles Hunt wrote:Was it American Graffiti where the youth chained the back axle of the Police car to something solid, so as the Police attempted to set off in chase all they did was rip out the back axle?

That's the one. Mythbusters tried (and failed) to replicate it.

Harrison Ford also has a small role.
From Saturday's "Times", 'TMS' column, citing 'a little known diary entry by Samuel Pepys' from New Year's Eve 1665 [contributed by a history Fellow at Oxford]:

"The year of our Lorde 1665 hath been such a terrible one for ye plague. I cannot wait for 1666, for I have especial excitement to trye the newe bakery that hath opened on Pudding Lane"

:wink:
JAFO, Morten, akg1486 and 5 others liked this
kanga wrote:From Saturday's "Times", 'TMS' column, citing 'a little known diary entry by Samuel Pepys' from New Year's Eve 1665 [contributed by a history Fellow at Oxford]:

"The year of our Lorde 1665 hath been such a terrible one for ye plague. I cannot wait for 1666, for I have especial excitement to trye the newe bakery that hath opened on Pudding Lane"

:wink:

Not so new: it had been up and running for more than fifteen years. :D

wikipedia wrote:Farriner joined the Baker's Company in 1637, and had his own shop by 1649. By the time of the Great Fire of London, Thomas Farriner was a well-known baker in the City of London, who provided bread for the Royal Navy during the Anglo-Dutch war. He was also a churchwarden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Farriner
kanga liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
akg1486 wrote:Regarding Mad Max: apparently the tweets and posts about it being set in 2021 appeared in late 2020. This site rates the claim "not true":

https://www.truthorfiction.com/mad-max-is-set-in-2021/

Oh thank goodness you posted that this is fake. Have just stopped MrT6 getting that outfit out of the wardrobe :lol:
kanga, Iceman, rikur_ liked this