For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
eltonioni wrote:Continuing the musical theme, the Eurovision song contest has been cancelled and not that anyone knew or cared but the UK entry really was called "My Last Breath", :shock:

(It's not bad actually)

I don't mind about Eurovision , but the list of other cultural stuff now inaccessible makes one realise how rich we are in normal times:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... cellations
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Thread drift:
All this bog roll shortage stuff reminds me of when I was an eleven year old at school in the 50s in SW France not far from Bordeaux.

My best friend's parents were teachers at our school and had a massive study with ceiling high shelves of pretty ancient and valuable books in their huge house on the river bank looking steeply down onto the River Lot below.

My friend and I spent many an afternoon giggling away (as you do as a kid) at the parents' copy of Gargantua and Pantagruel by Rabelais in which Gargantua lists at great length all the objects he has wiped his ar se with.

To this day I can never look at a pet white rabbit without thinking of Gargantua's assertion -

'Je me torchais d'un lapin'

Peter :roll:
Pete L, Iceman liked this
By PeteSpencer
Pete L wrote:Thanks for that, Pete. Made me break out the French grammar :-)

Me too: Looking at the original text I think my memory might have partially failed me: It was 'un lievre' ( a hare) not a rabbit.

But his very favourite for reasons not printable here was a goose.

Peter
Can you help me out with understanding this advice about preventing touching your (own) face in these difficult times?

The Behavioural Insights Team (BIT), a company part-owned by the Cabinet Office, is advising ministers on how best to do it. It's come up with some ideas to prevent face-touching, as featured on its blog.
<snipped>
Another suggestion is creating an alternative "habitual" action, such as drumming fingers on legs or playing with a substitute object, such as a ball

Q1: Does it matter which ball, left or right?

Q2: What about those of a female persuasion? Do they have to find an obliging male, preferably kilt-wearing?

Rob P
Charles Hunt liked this
Rob P wrote:Can you help me out with understanding this advice about preventing touching your (own) face in these difficult times?

The Behavioural Insights Team (BIT), a company part-owned by the Cabinet Office, is advising ministers on how best to do it. It's come up with some ideas to prevent face-touching, as featured on its blog.
<snipped>
Another suggestion is creating an alternative "habitual" action, such as drumming fingers on legs or playing with a substitute object, such as a ball

If you have two hands, I think you'll need both. If you go R/R+L/L or R/L+L/R it entirely up to you. Or you can switch for variety.
Rob P wrote:Q2: What about those of a female persuasion? Do they have to find an obliging male, preferably kilt-wearing?

Rob P

They do write "such as", so women are free to choose their b00bs if no Scots are available..
Rob P liked this
By PeteSpencer
akg1486 wrote:
Rob P wrote:Can you help me out with understanding this advice about preventing touching your (own) face in these difficult times?

<snipped>

If you have two hands, I think you'll need both. If you go R/R+L/L or R/L+L/R it entirely up to you. Or you can switch for variety.
Rob P wrote:Q2: What about those of a female persuasion? Do they have to find an obliging male, preferably kilt-wearing?

Rob P

They do write "such as", so women are free to choose their b00bs if no Scots are available..

Woohoo my internet rip-off hand sanitiser arrived today

I can now scratch my balls and pick my nose with impunity :roll:

Peter