Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Went out shopping for the first time since the lockdown, I hadnt even been out for baguette before today. No roadblocks, people working in the vines and on construction, trucks driving about, but most shops etc shut down and alot of people working in their gardens.

However, actually got approached by the local Gendarmes and asked for my declaration. Had my son (teenager) with me as he is french (incase my french wasnt good enough, for just such an event!) and had deliberately left him sat in the car while I went into a pretty much deserted supermarket for essentials. They were driving around, saw him sat in the car and so pulled over and were waiting talking to him when I came out...

Apparently yesterday, they slightly changed the rules such that you now need an actual printed signed paper declaring what you are doing, an electronic version is not allowed anymore. Additionally you must be alone, excepting infants, and even children need to have their own declaration for being outside. Luckily no fine on the technicality of changes from the initial lockdown rules, but they certainly stressed they could have given me one if they had so been inclined as "the rules are the rules".

I guess I was right about that french paper & ink investment opportunity!!

Regards, SD..
The FT has an article on this behind a paywall, but here is the pre-print behind it.

It suggests that a large part of the UK population may have recovered already from the virus, and have immunity. Perhaps even 50%. That was the FT headline.

I can't comment on the accuracy, although Professor Gupta does appear to do this for a living.

I don't envy those in charge of public policy at the moment.
It is possible to swab test for the infection but there's no mass antibody test as yet so getting a clear answer to the question is a little while off. There's a tremendous amount of work going on and the Chinese have made progress and others are publishing test methods that could be done at scale fairly soon.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:@skydriller as I read your story I was beginning to think it was about how your mischievous teenage son stitched you up for his amusement. Do the French not have a sense of humour?

Glad you weren't relieved of any euros. :thumleft:

Actually, the Gendarmes were quite pragmatic and fair IMHO, and even laughed when I suggested if I hadnt asked my son to come out in the sun/warmth, he would still be in his room "online"...
My son said they were friendly and talkative before I arrived, liked the "big boys toy" I was driving, and while stood there with him, were quizzing everyone who entered the Supermarket for their papers etc. From my POV, they were just doing their job; their interest was piqued seeing my son sat in the car and investigated. I was amused that had they not stopped, he would have been totally isolated, but I wasnt about to argue too strenuously...

Regards, SD..
kanga liked this
@skydriller
So, every household in France has internet and a printer (that works)? :scratch:

Égalité, Fraternité, montre moi votre Papiers?

We are running a steady little underground press, for parents who don’t have printers - but the school assumes everyone has, to get homework done.

I don’t mind, it all goes as opex on my company - and by jeezus I pay enough tax to bend the rules and help out some neighbours.
PeteSpencer wrote:
Facetiming the grandchildren tonight: Can't wait.

Peter :wink:

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I have just downloaded and joined the 'Houseparty' app. It's brilliant - you create a group of people who already have it or invite them to download the app if they don't - say family members or business colleagues, and it's like FaceTime but you see and speak to as many members on your group, rather than just a one to one with FaceTime, all on a split screen. Have been very impressed! :thumright:
Miscellaneous wrote:Are you suggesting @skydriller drives a big girls toy? :shock:

But he's a lovely chap, that apart, and his girlfriend/partner is even nicer. And he did buy the right marque :lol:

Rob P