Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Downing St have deemed Cummings trip as “essential” as it related to childcare. To not do so of course would be impossible as it would implicate Ministers in the breaking of guidance as there’s no way they didn’t know his location. .

I’d like to know what alternatives he explored first to care for his child. But, as a private citizen/ civil servant that would be intrusive.

Power without accountability?
johnm liked this
Jim Jones wrote:Downing St have deemed Cummings trip as “essential” as it related to childcare. To not do so of course would be impossible as it would implicate Ministers in the breaking of guidance as there’s no way they didn’t know his location.

Meanwhile;
The Durham police chief said it was "unwise" for Mr Cummings to travel to County Durham.
Cummings is extracting the Michael all over the place and is the worst example of the SpAd disease I have ever seen.

To suggest this trip was essential is just ridiculous given what other folk including my family are faced with. Neither parent needed hospital treatment and so were available to deal with child's needs or could have drawn on a range of options given their privileged position. Moreover they almost certainly caught the disease through the general idiocy going on around Downing St at the time and which also had Johnson going down with it.
Cowshed liked this
Johnm,
Once again I fear you are letting your dislike of this government, and the particular individual concerned, cloud your judgement. Both parents were infected and it is reported that Cummings himself, whilst in isolation in Durham, was unable to even get out of bed and his wife was struggling with her breathing. They could not have predicted how badly either would suffer and the son is only 5 years old. Ensuring his safety with someone close by to look after him if necessary was a reasonable priority (and in keeping with government guidelines as articulated by the deputy CMO) and I suspect you would have taken the same action if necessary had it been you.

Whatever your views of this man, and I have my own, this cynical storm in the media seeking his sacking is another example of using this pandemic as a vehicle to further political agendas of an entirely unconnected flavour. We all know what this is really about and frankly, it is rather tiresome.

PW
SteveN, skydriller, JAFO liked this
Those who know the truth are certainly sticking together, but I am at a loss to understand how the practicalities worked out, or have they tested the theory that if you send a 5 year old, who has been exposed to the virus, to stay with his granny and aunties they are quite safe because children don't pass it on?

I freely confess my prejudice against incompetent and unpleasant liars and charlatans wherever they may be found.
johnm wrote:Those who know the truth are certainly sticking together, but I am at a loss to understand how the practicalities worked out, or have they tested the theory that if you send a 5 year old, who has been exposed to the virus, to stay with his granny and aunties they are quite safe because children don't pass it on?

Quite right. The child should have stayed at home and looked after his sick parents and any idiot knows that a five year old Tory is quite capable of fending for themselves if the grown ups need hospitalisation.

Pah, kids today. Wouldn’t know the inside of a chimney if their lives depended on it. And another thing, those pit ponys won’t feed themselves.
kanga, skydriller, Bill Haddow and 2 others liked this
Propwash wrote:I'd be more interested to know why, and from whom, this came into the media now given that it took place in March and it is now late May. Anyone would think there was something of an altogether different agenda at the root of this pursuit of him. :lol:

PW

It could always be a diversionary tactic after the Arcuri “allegations” that surfaced a couple of days ago!
MSM fall for it hook line and sinker :D
malcolmfrost wrote:
Propwash wrote:I'd be more interested to know why, and from whom, this came into the media now given that it took place in March and it is now late May. Anyone would think there was something of an altogether different agenda at the root of this pursuit of him. :lol:

PW

It could always be a diversionary tactic after the Arcuri “allegations” that surfaced a couple of days ago!
MSM fall for it hook line and sinker :D

Those allegations are old news, what happened this week was the official decision that he had no criminal case to answer so hardly something the government would want to divert attention from. I suspect it was more to do with the approaching end of June deadline for agreeing an extension to the transition period, the lack of any apparent progress in the negotiations on a deal and the realisation that one particular individual is likely to be the biggest obstruction to capitulating on the "no extension under any circumstances" policy.

But all if that could just be a coincidence. :wink:

PW