Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Just back from the local plant nursery, they've been doing roaring trade with a click and collect service as well as one way system round the plant benches and a payment hut with a plastic shield for the staff. They ran out of bedding plants and had to get some wholesale.

It seems that they and a couple of other smaller nurseries have been benefitting from folk spending more time in the garden while the big retail garden supermarkets (sorry centres) have been closed.

Every cloud etc...….
rikur_ wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:@rikur_ its not the governor’s decision . It’s an operational matter for the head. The chair should have focussed the meeting, but maybe they needed to ventilate.

Not the case round here ... local authority have guided, heads have produced plans/options .... but in all the local academies it's been a governing body decision on whether to open or not.

Well, there’s your problem. :?
johnm liked this
Jim Jones wrote:
rikur_ wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:@rikur_ its not the governor’s decision . It’s an operational matter for the head. The chair should have focussed the meeting, but maybe they needed to ventilate.

Not the case round here ... local authority have guided, heads have produced plans/options .... but in all the local academies it's been a governing body decision on whether to open or not.

Well, there’s your problem. :?

@Jim Jones You sound like you're more informed on the topic than me, but I've struggled to work out the actual legal responsibility for deciding.
Central Government seems to be allowing/encouraging years R,1, and 6 to go back, but not going as far as instruction.
The LEA in our case have publicly said that they encourage schools to reopen, but then quietly said that it is for individual schools to decided based on risk assessment and local factors.
Quite where and on what basis it was decided where it was a governing body vs Head Teacher decision I'm not entirely clear. If you think it's clear somewhere, would be interested to understand the basis.
It does feel right that it's ultimately a 'local' decision as factors such as staff availability, site layout, etc will be vary - but feels like having become a local decision, it's been made on a different set of criteria.
Pete L wrote:Local garden centre almost bereft of it's most obvious products...plants.

Where's Flintstone when you need him? A couple of years ago he organised for me to collect his excess tomato plants from Nuthampsted and deliver half to the garden and half to Aerbabe.

I guess he's realised not to make the same mistake as we all do in the early enthusiastic flushes of gardening/new greenhouse , and that's growing ten times the number of tomato plants that you actually need....

Peter
@ rikur
I’ve been a governor of a state secondary for 28 years, 15 of those as chair,. The school has been an academy for quite a while, not part of a trust, but has set up a learning partnership with local schools of which I am trustee. My local authority has decided not to support re-opening.. (This absolves them of any responsibility of what schools decide as on,y few are run by the LEA in this borough. )

My opinion that opening is an operational decision, made by the head in consultation with Governors, LEA, DfE etc.
It’s little different to decisions about snow closure. Can the school be safely opened in terms of the physical environment, availability of staff, safe travel etc? If the head decides it does not meet safety requirements, the school closes. He will inform governors and parents of this decision, with explanation.
(AIUI M O’Leary cannot tell a captain whether it is safe to take off in the conditions being experienced much though he may want to, same thing really).

I believe your governing body needs to wind its neck in.

Edit. This has just arrived in my inbox

https://www.nga.org.uk/News/Blog/May-20 ... ID-19.aspx
kanga, rikur_ liked this
rikur_ wrote:I'd say we have a reasonably well educated parent base and hence governors, but I dread to think the quality of decision making that will take place, given it's effectively been delegated to those parents that won a popularity contest.

That sounds remarkably like modern government/politics. :roll:

As a side note on life in France.
My daughter is with me this weekend (long bank holiday). Apparently my Ex wife has decided there isnt any point in her going to school (As usual, I wasnt consulted... :roll:) Here in France teachers can decide if they want to go to school or not, and so can parents decide if their kids go or stay home.

My daughter says that of a class of 28, FIVE kids are at school. Only half the teachers are there, 3 of her teachers, and now 7 out of 9 are actually regularly sending her work to do at home so hence the decision by my ex-wife. My daughters friend at another school tells her the same thing is happening there too: 4 or 5 kids out of 30 in a class are going to school, not even half the teachers are there.

So, things are not quite as the media says in France...ie school hasnt restarted, at least not in my little corner it hasnt.

Regards, SD..

Edit to add: My sons Lycee has pretty much given up now that they all know the Bac is based on work previously done in the first 2 terms. Hes had one assignment sent in the last 2 weeks...
Bill Haddow wrote:After the resignation of Doc Cath Calderwood for behaviour not conducive to good order etc, Prof Neil Ferguson has also jacked it for similar reasons.

To lose one expert may be regarded as a misfortune, to lose more will certainly earn Bracknellian censure.

Bill H

Oh no!
Dominic Cummings Durham trip

Another one bites the dust - or does he? Unlike Professor Ferguson, might he be too important to the workings of SAGE? :twisted:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
spaughty wrote:
Bill Haddow wrote:After the resignation of Doc Cath Calderwood for behaviour not conducive to good order etc, Prof Neil Ferguson has also jacked it for similar reasons.

To lose one expert may be regarded as a misfortune, to lose more will certainly earn Bracknellian censure.

Bill H

Oh no!
Dominic Cummings Durham trip

Another one bites the dust - or does he? Unlike Professor Ferguson, might he be too important to the workings of SAGE? :twisted:

Except, as his young child was 5 years old, both he and his wife were sick and therefore unable to care properly for it, his sister offered to take it in, he didn't have any contact with his elderly parents and all of that means he didn't breach either the law or the guidelines because his journey fell into the exceptional circumstances clause, I very much doubt he will have to resign or bite any dust. Not as if he was just visiting a second home for fun was it?

Still, details like that never stop a mob lynching in the press do they? :roll:

PW
skydriller, JAFO liked this
malcolmfrost wrote:However if he had been caught not clapping at 8pm on a Thursday........

Is now the time to confess that I have steadfastly refused to take part in what I regard as a ritual embarrassment more in keeping with the saccharine sentimentality of the USA than the previously stoic UK?

I have great admiration for the efforts of the NHS staff on the front line, and all the other "key workers" who have kept the essential wheels turning or society safe, but having once been on that same front line myself I would have been horrified by this elevation to almost religious cult status.

Where should I report for re-education?

PW
Cowshed, JAFO liked this