Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Out of interest I thought I should read the legislation which is available on HM Gov of course and aslo look at the Government's recommendations. As far as I can see the key to excercising and going out is this;

"14. Can I drive to a national park or other green space to walk?

We advise you to stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily.

You can still go to the park for outdoor exercise once a day but only by yourself or within your household, not in groups.

We ask you to keep 2 metres apart from others outside your household at all times when outdoors."

Which is clearly advice (and, within reason, good advice, that I dont dispute).

However, note there is nothing to say it is against the law to drive to an outside space, and I can find nothing in the legislation.

For those accustom to dealing with the law, I would find it impossible to come across a better example of a self imposed question, not answered!

Perhaps I am missing something, but in terms of an adult conversation, not tarnished by inference that you may wish to make people think the law requires them to do certain things, I see nothing in law that prevents people driving to a place to excercise, and this would lead me to question the legality of some of the police actions that are being reported.

Anyone know better?
Last edited by IMCR on Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eltonioni, JAFO liked this
Yes. As IMCR says, it's advice, and good advice - but not law.

In the meantime, a friend who is a very competent Green Party local counselor in Birmingham has been talking very loudly about the lack of support for a massive increase in domestic violence she's seeing as a consequence of social isolation (and doubtless other related stresses).

There does seem to be a bit of an issue with prioritisation there.

G
IMCR wrote:Perhaps I am missing something, but in terms of an adult conversation, not tarnished by inference that you may wish to make people think the law requires them to do certain things, I see nothing in law that prevents people driving to a place to excercise, and this would lead me to question the legality of some of the police actions that are being reported.

Anyone know better?

Only from my non-legal viewpoint.

There's nothing in the legislation about use of cars or otherwise. There's nothing about once a day. The list of reasons that are deemed to be reasonable/essential is non-exhaustive (ie there may be others).

It does seem that the police in some areas are deciding that a journey was not needed or essential and is therefore illegal - some are asking that if the intention was to get something essential but you ended up buying something non-essential would that be OK?

This is an interesting view from a barrister on Twitter

The aforementioned Secret Barrister is also unhappy as are other legal types on Twitter.... as is George Osborne

And apparently

Police chiefs are drawing up new guidance warning forces not to overreach their lockdown enforcement powers after withering criticism of controversial tactics deployed to stop the spread of coronavirus, the Guardian has learned

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... d-sumption
johnm wrote:The Secret Barrister isn’t over impressed with Mr Plod it seems Gold Plating is afoot. Moreover the delay in action occasioned by nonsense about herd immunity and the like has really p155ed off some medicos along with the continuing failure to deliver PPE and slow ramp up of testing. The forthcoming letter from Johnson is described as a lie by one medico in a impassioned you tube video.

If it’s the one Ive seen he’s not a medical doctor and is an ER activist His FB profile makes interesting viewing
johnm, Dave W liked this
PaulB wrote:There's nothing in the legislation about use of cars or otherwise. There's nothing about once a day. The list of reasons that are deemed to be reasonable/essential is non-exhaustive (ie there may be others).

Well let's all be thankful they're not the CAA, or Barton and we will be able to challenge them should we feel we are unjustifiably accused. :D
flybymike, skydriller liked this
johnm wrote:The Secret Barrister isn’t over impressed with Mr Plod it seems Gold Plating is afoot. Moreover the delay in action occasioned by nonsense about herd immunity and the like has really p155ed off some medicos along with the continuing failure to deliver PPE and slow ramp up of testing. The forthcoming letter from Johnson is described as a lie by one medico in a impassioned you tube video.

1. That's conflating two completely unrelated issues: Police over-reaction, and epidemiology theory.

2. [Edit: @PeteSpencer made this point earlier] I strongly suspect that the YouTube video you refer to is the one circulating from Dr Rupert Read. He is not a "medico": his first degree is PPE, his doctorate is in philosophy* and he is an Extinction Rebellion activist. I am heartily sick of partisan politics muddying the waters of a serious health threat to the World population. "Never let a crisis go to waste" is not a good look. :(

*Ph.D in a Wittgensteinian exploration of the relationship between Kripke’s ‘quus’ problem and Nelson Goodman’s ‘grue’ problem.
Miscellaneous, johnm, Charles Hunt and 2 others liked this
"The Guardian has learned that the National Police Chiefs Council and College of Policing (NPCC) is rushing through guidance reminding officers that despite politicians’ warnings they cannot bar people from going for a run or a drive.

It will state that while certain actions such as driving to exercise may be unwise, they are not prohibited by the emergency powers, according to sources with knowledge of detailed discussions. It is also expected to conclude the law does not restrict people to leaving their home to exercise just once a day."

The Guardian.
IMCR wrote:Listening to the President it makes me wonder where all the Hydroxychloroquine is here - there is mounting evidence and yet no mention, I can find nothing. Do we manufacture it in the UK? Has the government stockpiled pending the results of something or other?

Is there mounting evidence?

I think the jury is probably still out as the trial most often cited is said to have limitations.

https://www.phc.ox.ac.uk/covid-19/evide ... g-covid-19

Here's some more interesting background

https://wellcome.ac.uk/news/can-chloroq ... -us-answer

Do we make it in the UK.... I'm guessing not (although I don't know) I'd be quite surprised if they weren't made in China or India.