Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
kanga wrote:I suppose we should be glad that UK 'preppers' are more likely to be planting seeds than buying guns .. :roll:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-51857722

"you get more done with a carrot and a big stick, that you do with just a big stick alone...." :clown:

Mrs OCB has never been into gardening/growing etc - but she has fallen hard into the "anti-plastic" and "make your own xyz" things. Result is my kitchen is resembling more and more that of my grandparents - which I actually quite like! Out with the digital (plastic) scales, in with old style metal and spring version. Tupperware gone, now it's only pyrex with wooden tops. She makes her own soap (for fun - she loves it!). Surface cleaner is vinegar/essential oils etc. Washing liquid in a plastic bottle is gone, it's now a huge bar of dishwash soap etc. All very middle class virtue signaling etc

I'd be lying if I said that when I bought our house, I did think about "bad times". It crossed my mind that the large back garden would have it's uses in the event we had to go down the "grow your own" route. Alas, it's a "cursed" garden - next to nothing is a success - but worst case, chickens and bunnies would be fine :thumright:

Pure coincidence that I started off seedlings this weekend - more down to not having to play Dad Taxi all weekend than anything else!
By Sooty25
Bill McCarthy wrote:After a couple of months at sea you get used to tea made with distilled water and UHT milk, and when that runs out you’re on to the granulated stuff.

a local variation is known as "drifter tea". Made using tinned Carnation evaporated milk. Gets the drifter name from the fishing boats it was drunk on before fridges on board and UHT existed. It is rather nice actually!
kanga, Rob P liked this
By map5623
akg1486 wrote:The brand name is ”Sonny” and a comment on the youtube video suggested that it should be called ”Sonny Spraystation”. :lol:

Sonny, will this be included in the next EASA cartoon strip?
By OCB
Sooty25 wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:After a couple of months at sea you get used to tea made with distilled water and UHT milk, and when that runs out you’re on to the granulated stuff.

a local variation is known as "drifter tea". Made using tinned Carnation evaporated milk. Gets the drifter name from the fishing boats it was drunk on before fridges on board and UHT existed. It is rather nice actually!

I’d completely forgotten about that...from time to time my folks (war babies) would make tea with Carnation milk.

Then there was chicory coffee (Camps).
Also “frothy coffee” - sort of a home made cappuccino.
By Paul_Sengupta
OCB wrote:I’d completely forgotten about that...from time to time my folks (war babies) would make tea with Carnation milk.

Still seems to be the case in Germany. That was standard fayre in the Dusseldorf office when I worked there.

OCB wrote:Then there was chicory coffee (Camps).

Got some in my cupboard.

OCB wrote:Also “frothy coffee” - sort of a home made cappuccino.

OCB liked this
By Korenwolf
OCB wrote:
I’d completely forgotten about that...from time to time my folks (war babies) would make tea with Carnation milk.

We lived in Singapore when Dad was posted there from 1967 until 1969. Fresh milk was unknown, we would often buy glasses of tea from the street vendors down in Changi village made with sweetened condensed milk.

Probably explains the state of my teeth now :)
By Bill McCarthy
Did you have an amah?
I was out there in ‘68 in Sembawang Dockyard. The dockside “canteen” served the same coffee but in small polythene bags with a straw - the same sort of bag that you took a goldfish home in from a fairground.
By Rob P
I guess we can add one more to the C-19 death toll in the US as a prepper shoots his cousin with the shotgun he had for defence against the Covid infection

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/20/coronavi ... -12433155/

"I didn't know it was loaded"

Rob P
By rikur_
Just had an email from our local milkman advising that due to a national milk shortage he's unable to increase orders or take-on new customers.

If there is a national shortage, presumably this is imports related? Or are we using more of it? Surely we can't be hoarding milk? I can barely fit 2 days worth in the fridge.

IIRC correctly about 15% of our milk is imported.
By skydriller
Think about how many "insert brand of choice" extra latte choco caramel coffee tea thingies are now not being bought. Most of which probably didnt use actual fresh milk. Then how many used to "pick up breakfast on the go, etc. Many of these people are now not only drinking that coffee/tea at home, but are having cereals & toast for breakfast too. And of course many are buying a weeks worth in one go as they were told not to go out if they didnt have to.

I reckon that will be why you arent finding alot of of milk on the shelves, or cereals, or bread, or other things that people didnt used to buy as much of.

Regards, SD..
By Genghis the Engineer
I am very happy however to have been supporting my local milkman for years - as he's now supporting me! (With a slight increase to the milk order, and addition of half a dozen eggs every Tuesday).

G
Morten, kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
Our newsagent who delivers our paper (actually quite a way from his shop) is taking orders for essentials including bread baked overnight from the bakery next door for delivery Tue, wed, Fri

Peter
By Morten
We get raw milk from a dispensing machine down at the local community farm. The cows have not run dry yet ;)
By Bill McCarthy
Time to re establish the butter mountain principle regarding food and medical supplies amongst other things ?