Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Thank you Rob.

A great site with great advice. My life is richer for it. All that wisdom and practical tips.

I particularly liked this:

“Where there are two, there’s one. Where there’s one, there’s none.”

Thank the Lord.

And Trump (edited to add him)
By akg1486
lobstaboy wrote:Sheesh! Bug out bag? More like bug out wagon if they really expect you to take that lot.

Perhaps someone has a variant for the light GA community that fits with a MTOW of 1,150 kg.
By Jim Jones
I’ve spent a lot of time being amazed by the YouTube prep stuff. It’s the sheer amount of weaponry that *must* be carried.
My Swiss Army knife seems pathetic now.
johnm, Flyin'Dutch', Rob P liked this
By OCB
I do recall randomly falling on a YouTube “prepper” whose bug-out bag was in fact just to cover him until he got to his bug-out van; which was an A-Team style van thing that he kept stashed away.

That wasn’t the shocking part. The shocking part was, the content of his van wasn’t “guns, guns and more guns - with ammo on top”.

It was actually quite sensible.

More or less a “camper van with kit and provisions to live off-grid, mini engineering workshop + basics to get a few crops going” type affair.
By kanga
When I was in the DoD in Washington in the '80s, an amazing (to me) number of my US colleagues (professional USG employees, civil and military) had 'bug out bags' at home, smaller ones always in their cars, and a prepared cabin in the woods. They enjoyed sharing notes and advice about these in the office. Admittedly, we were all working on worst-case military strategic scenarios at the height of the Cold War.

Equally, I was encouraged to note how many of my US colleagues were prepared openly to say the first lot were crazy!

I never met the same sort of discussions among Canadian colleagues in DND/MDN in Ottawa later in the '80s. Two different cultures very evident!
By Flyin'Dutch'
kanga wrote:I never met the same sort of discussions among Canadian colleagues in DND/MDN in Ottawa later in the '80s. Two different cultures very evident!

Aren't they just!
By Genghis the Engineer
Jim Jones wrote:I’ve spent a lot of time being amazed by the YouTube prep stuff. It’s the sheer amount of weaponry that *must* be carried.
My Swiss Army knife seems pathetic now.

EDC, or Every Day Carry is a common topic of discussion amongst martial artists (of which I am one).

For me it's a Swiss Army Knife, phone, metal torch, Swisstech Utilikey on my keyring and in my car and briefcase emergency washkits - basically razor, toothbrush and deodorant for when I get caught out by travel arrangements and have to stay away from home.

Having done a lot of first aid and firefighting training, plus living in a village on a hill in the woods - in my car there's also enough first aid gear to handle a reasonably significant emergency, a fire extinguisher, and a wire saw. In winter a sleeping bag and climbing rope get added.

You could accuse me, with some justification, of paranoia (although pretty much every bit of that has been used at some point), but some people, even in Britain, take this much much more seriously.

G
By Jim Jones
Car has first aid, resusi face mask, water, emergency chocolate, hi-vis, and a blanket and shovel November to March
Key ring has mini Swiss Army knife, coat has torch and multi tool.
All used at some time.
No weapons however unless the wheel wrench counts.
By Flyin'Dutch'
With what people are freely willing to write, who needs Cambridge Analytica or any data of FB!

Interesting to say the least.
Sooty25 liked this
By OCB
I’d actually started this thread as a bit of a joke about “middle class prepping”...my fault for leaving the subject open :doh:

Btw, the kids hockey and scout activities have been postponed. Annoying, our club had a “meet and greet” with the current world champion keeper next week, plus all 3 kids have been playing well.

This weekend’s job is to get a hockey goal set up in the garden. If nothing else, two weeks of “clack, BANG” of stick hitting ball, and ball hitting goal board will drive my school teacher neighbour up the wall :twisted:

In terms of “real” prepping.

No “bug out” anything for me, but my laptop bag always has a smoke hood, a pair of fire-resistant gloves, mini torch and a window breaking “clicky tool”. My train journey used to spend a lot of time in tunnels. It doesn’t now, just never got round to taking them out my bag..... :oops:
By eltonioni
Does a full tank of petrol count as EDC?
Ummm, got a Swiss Army Knife. It has tweezers. Could do with a squirt of WD40.
Is it worth looking for the sleeping bag in my dad’s loft?
Should we be taking this more seriously?
By rikur_
I felt embarrassed today getting a can of petrol for the lawnmower - felt the need to explain to the cashier that the grass cutting season had started and it was for the lawnmower, not armageddon. (IIRC similar embarrassment last year due to Brexit stockpiling?)