For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
johnm wrote:Well done the kids, they rightly don't care about the criticism of boring old farts and know that grass is resilient and will recover in due course....

It is only a question of time before they target our hobby at an airfield near you. Perhaps you won't feel so benevolent then.
seanxair, nickwilcock liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Robin500 wrote:
johnm wrote:Well done the kids, they rightly don't care about the criticism of boring old farts and know that grass is resilient and will recover in due course....

It is only a question of time before they target our hobby at an airfield near you. Perhaps you won't feel so benevolent then.

It ain't a hobby it's a means of transport and they can target and I'll enter the debate.....
Andrew Sinclair liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
Cowshed wrote:
skydriller wrote:The thing that I always giggle about when I see protesters such as in the second photo is "do these people realise what is used to make that stuff they are wearing?"

What do you expect them to wear - animal skins? I don't see that it invalidates their concern.

I was wearing a tweed suit to work yesterday, with a cotton shirt and underwear, and leather shoes.

That is, I think, basically animal skins and plant fibres.

Looking at myself now sat on the sofa on a miserable Saturday afternoon, leather moccasins, cotton trousers and shirt, polyester fleece. Still mostly animal skins and plant fibres - could easily swap the fleece for a woolly jumper.

G
Last edited by Genghis the Engineer on Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnm liked this
johnm wrote:
Robin500 wrote:

It ain't a hobby it's a means of transport and they can target and I'll enter the debate.....

For me and I suspect many others it’s a hobby. I don’t need to travel anywhere by light aircraft.
Robin500 wrote:For me and I suspect many others it’s a hobby. I don’t need to travel anywhere by light aircraft.

Absolutely and as such I'd suggest it is easier to argue it as such than as a mode of transport. :wink:

We're all for progress, but non thinking, irresponsible action we see widespread today is not clever.

It's largely a product of the entitled never having had it so good.
Robin500 liked this
Whoever planned airfields in the middle of nowhere is possibly more environmentally friendly than the planners that cram more and more housing into established towns/cities increasing congestion and pollution in those areas, and then have to install non-eco friendly traffic calming obstructions such as speed humps/bumps/tables to save a child from being run over by any vehicle that dare move at more than 20 mph (cyclists appear to be exempt due to lack of speedo when passing vehicles that are doing 20 mph .....)

Many towns and cities are so over congested that someone in the county planning office ought to consider using "saving the planet" as a reason to justify investing in some brand new well spaced out towns. If the county councils wont do it, then it must be central government that forces it eventually unless they want southern England to be named "London" at a future date.
Robin500 wrote:

If they turn up at my airfield, they'll be informed it is private land, they are tresspassing, and have as long as it takes me to load a shotgun, to eff off! I don't have many pleasures in life and being lectured by someone with no life experience really won't go down well!
Kilgore : Smell that? You smell that?

Lance : What?

Kilgore : Hyperbole, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of hyperbole in the morning. You know, one time I had a forum rant, for 12 hours. When it was all over, after I stopped I didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' like. The smell, you know that hyperbole smell? The whole forum. Smelled like... a pyrrhic victory. Someday this thread’s gonna end.
eltonioni liked this
By johnm
Many towns and cities are so over congested that someone in the county planning office ought to consider using "saving the planet" as a reason to justify investing in some brand new well spaced out towns. If the county councils wont do it, then it must be central government that forces it eventually unless they want southern England to be named "London" at a future date.

As far as I can recall the last time something like this was done it resulted in Milton Keynes previously Letchworth was an example. On balance I think there's a lot to recommend it, but I don't see a government with the vision and competence in the offing.....
By johnm
If they turn up at my airfield, they'll be informed it is private land, they are tresspassing, and have as long as it takes me to load a shotgun, to eff off! I don't have many pleasures in life and being lectured by someone with no life experience really won't go down well!

I think that makes you a fully qualified old fart :D :D
Sooty25 wrote:
Robin500 wrote:

:lol: :lol:
You think Stansted or the Green they destroyed in Cambridge isn’t private land!

They laugh at your threats and go where they please.

Please don’t do that, you’ll be in jail quicker and for longer than they will.
johnm, PaulB liked this
I just want to point out that, normally when a bunch of herbivores turn up in a field, and chew it up so badly it turns into a muck bath - that after a few weeks of Spring the field will become an explosion of wildflowers, wild grass, local lichens etc.

A few hundred square meters of exactly the same “far from natural” grass, on a billiard flat surface is not exactly “eco friendly”.... :roll:
johnm, Dusty_B liked this