Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Korenwolf
I could have tacked this onto one of the other threads but I reckon it's worth one in its own right. A particular bugbear of mine is being held up by unnecessary red traffic lights (surely it is possible to make more of them them 'smart' and allow the longest queues to move)

Anyway, a study by Birmingham Institute for Forest Research and Lancaster University's Environment Centre has found that in Milton Keynes, with its many roundabouts and dual carriageways, has less pollution at ground level than crowded Luton, although the two places have similar levels of pollution overall.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-51268918

So, we obviously need to forget HS2 and use the space that's been created to build a twelve-lane motorway :lol:
By nallen
Korenwolf wrote:A particular bugbear of mine is being held up by unnecessary red traffic lights (surely it is possible to make more of them them 'smart' and allow the longest queues to move)

Mine too! Especially late at night, when there's no traffic around and one's life ebbs away waiting for a four-way light at an otherwise deserted junction to cycle all the way through. (I used to pass through one such junction whenever I set off from my previous home.) Just turn them off!
By Rob P
Ah but. The greater aggravation is the guy in front who is surprised by the light changing at all, and then spends a considerable amount of time trying to remember where the designer installed the parking brake.

Rob P
I agree that traffic lights could be, should be smarter to better keep traffic moving.
I also agree that at quiet times of the day (late evening and night) traffic lights could be switched off and let people do the sensible thing or, if that's just too radical for those who feel crochet is an 'extreme' activity, let them show amber all the time as a sort of caution that someone might just be about to blast through the junction ahead.
Better yet, combine 'smart' with 'off' and have them go dark when there is no traffic and illuminate amber only if and when traffic is detected.

Another absurdity I see more and more of is large roundabouts with traffic lights, both at entry and at exit!
Korenwolf liked this
By Rob L
Korenwolf wrote:A particular bugbear of mine is being held up by unnecessary red traffic lights (surely it is possible to make more of them them 'smart' and allow the longest queues to move)

(following on from my reply to Peter Spencer)

A lot of towns in the US have a system whereby all lights on the junctions are red. As the driver approaches (and if there is no cross-traffic approaching), you get the green. Infra-red sensors or something detects your approach.

The first town I saw this was in Moab, Utah, and it works very well. Pedestrians pressing the crosswalk button reset the system (they still have to wait their turn though), but during times of low traffic density, if there is no cross-traffic (and no pedestrians) you can drive all the way through a town with green lights all the way.
nallen wrote:

Mine too! Especially late at night, when there's no traffic around and one's life ebbs away waiting for a four-way light at an otherwise deserted junction to cycle all the way through. (I used to pass through one such junction whenever I set off from my previous home.) Just turn them off!

I'm with you there..on Christmas Day I was driving over to collect my son and the lights near me changed to red as I drove up to them. Slowing down it became clear that there were no other vehicles anywhere ahead of me, or approaching from the left or right. No pedestrians either, so I put my right foot down again and sailed through the empty junction. Legal? No. Sensible? I think yes. Wouldn't work everywhere of course, given the proliferation of cash register "safety cameras" about :roll:
You must have been in a real hurry to drive through red.
By PaulB
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:You must have been in a real hurry to drive through red.

It's standard practice round here, especially with young men driving Audi or BMWs
Mrs McC goes nuts when I drive through “red” on road repair temporary lights when I can clearly see no oncoming traffic ahead for hundreds of yards at the other end, or, see them stop on their “red”. There is always an argument about it.
Never mind intelligent traffic lights, how about intelligent headphone wearing pedestrians? Three times in the last week I could have had damaged bodywork as they crossed oblivious against a red pedestrian light. One still blissfully unaware after a three second horn blast at ever decreasing close range.

Darwin.
By rikur_
There's a huge amount going on in this area, and loads more planned in readiness for 'connected autonomous vehicles'.
The London system is a truly impressive collection of technology, even if driving around is still no great experience. A lot of the lights are controlling 2nd and 3rd order impacts - e.g. regulating traffic into gyratory systems to avoid gridlock etc.
As ever rural counties lag somewhat behind, albeit our County Council now finally installs smart traffic lights as standard and the effect has been pretty impressive at some of the junctions done (albeit just moves the problem 3 miles up the road to the remain dumb set).

Somewhere there is a very impressive video (from a demonstration in the Netherlands ?) showing a junction with no lights and connected autonomous vehicles threading themselves through each other with just a few feet clearance ... effectively maintaining the full traffic flow on both axises of the junction. A good example of how inefficient manual driving is.
Charles Hunt wrote:Never mind intelligent traffic lights, how about intelligent headphone wearing pedestrians? Three times in the last week I could have had damaged bodywork as they crossed oblivious against a red pedestrian light. One still blissfully unaware after a three second horn blast at ever decreasing close range.

Darwin.

Pedestrians have priority when crossing the road at junctions or even at crossings with a green light, but having a driving license you would know that so ignore this. :thumleft: