Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By jerry_atrick
Given the OP was talking about not beign a power user, then I would suggest for internet surfing, the odd you tube and of course, forum contributions are the order of the day. I think he is right not to upgrade his hardware unless itis not working well enough for him these days..

It has to be at least 6 years ago now - possibly 7, I purchased for around £550 a HP something or other - 6GB of RAM and an I7 Quad Core - maybe more. It came with WIndows (8 I think, but can't recall) but I already had a monitor and keyboard/mouse. So let's say, c. £650 all up.. It has never skipped a beat; I have only added a second low-end graphics card for dual monitor (well, it can now do triple).

My son now uses it for his digital media stuff and I use it for my day to say stuff,... And, although it is tardy to start up - and yes - could use an SSD, performs quite well - runs MS FSX (Steam and stand alone) quite well, to boot! I have no plans retiring it yet..

I also have a 12 year old laptop which finally did have to be wiped of Windows and I put Linux (Ubuntu) on and I have a 5 year old HP i3 laptop I paid something like £399 for which struggled with the kids games on it but since reinstalling Win10 and keeping it to my stuff, does nicely.. It has 4GB of memory.

There is in intesting video here I found that talks to the superior build quality of the macbooks v the cheapies.. but I don't recall leaning on my laptops the way he demonstrates.. so for the price, I am always going to stick with wintel - as with the plethora of free and open source software these days and the little difference in processing and graphics power, which Apple did have, means I'll keep my money for flying... one day (Iceman will get that last bit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VotJ1IZPSw
JAFO liked this
By Boing_737
Colonel Panic wrote:That will also be due to domestic computers needing more puff for photos / videos / games etc etc, whereas in the corporate environment required processing power is normally much less.

My gaming PC is running on a 4th gen core i7 processor, but a very recent generation graphics card. It's the latter that largely makes the difference, the clock speed of the processor helps pump the raw data into the graphics card, bit not much else. Combined with SSDs and 16GB RAM, it runs the latest games very well.

My laptop runs almost the same spec (or at least will do once I replace the CPU), without the graphics card, but then I didn't buy it for games.

Whether or not the OS on the machine was "hardened" by the corporate IT department has little bearing on the hardware reliability once it becomes "previously loved" because as a responsible new owner you're going to replace the drive and do a fresh OS install anyway....
By Paul_Sengupta
PaulB wrote:I wonder how many Windows machines would still be usable after that time? (I sense I'm going to be surprised at all of you using such old hardware on a daily basis!! :-) )

6 years is new for a Windows machine! My home computer has a dual core Pentium, when did that come out? It runs Windows 7.

I've also got a working 486sx25 but that's not my oldest working PC (I think I have Windows 95 on it, but I might have upgraded to 98, not sure). I have a couple of portable/laptop 8086/8088s and one portable 386.

Hell, my ZX81 still works, but I don't tend to use it much!
By PaulB
I guess the difference is that the Apple machines are all using the latest OS with the latest updates. I have an old XP notebook somewhere.... yes it works.
I bought a Toshiba NB100 netbook, c/w with Ubuntu from Comet in 2009 for £229.99, so that I could Hackintosh it - which I did. What a joke that machine was. Dire everything - especially but not limited to the keyboard.

Yee Gads, how bad were those netbooks! Should have been strangled at birth.
PaulB liked this