Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PaulB
People often slag Apple off for various reasons... one of those being price. It got me wondering.... I have a MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and iMac here. All are over 6 years old with zero upgrades (although there have been a couple of SSDs replaced.)

Admittedly I'm not a power user, but for general day to day use, there seems little point in updating them as they all run the latest operating system.

I wonder how many Windows machines would still be usable after that time? (I sense I'm going to be surprised at all of you using such old hardware on a daily basis!! :-) )
By riverrock
Home (Lenovo) laptops (his an hers) are currently 4 years old and only cost about £400 so I could buy 3 of them for the price of a MacBook Pro.
My work laptop is in the process of getting replaced after 5 years of constant use and travel around the world (but the Dell battery is starting to swell!).
By rikur_
Oldest working PC I've got is a 486sx25 which still has a British Rail asset tag on it, which I think puts it pre-1995. IIRC the hard disk was replaced around 2005. It ran as an FTP server continuously until ~ 2009, but still boots up when required (originally shipped with Windows for Workgroups, it now enjoys Windows NT4). It has both utp and coax ethernet ports!

I've got a Compaq laptop that dates from ~ 2000, which had a new disk drive ~ 2010, but otherwise still works - albeit the battery life is measured in seconds not hours. I've never upgraded it from Windows 7, so not in day to day use.

I've got a Dell PC in day-to-day use my garage (use for music streaming / web browsing / etc) which dates from 2005, and is bang up to date with Windows 10, and works just like a new PC. I don't think it's had any parts replaced, just a new graphics card added to give it HDMI output.

My daughter still uses a 7 year old Asus touchscreen laptop - again, 100% original.
By PaulB
Wasn't really asking about the oldest. I have an XP notebook upstairs that works, but isn't in daily use. The macs are all fully up to date and used daily.
By Rob P
Yes, when I was responsible for a studio using Macs it was always a good idea to have lots of spares in working order to cover the times the engineer had to visit.

I can't recall how old this Novatech desktop PC on which I am working is, maybe 12 years, but with an upgrade (SSD, memory and processor last year)

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
By VRB_20kt
Windoze machines perk up no end when you add an SSD. Anything with less than a gazillion GB of RAM gets disc-bound by Micro$oft's determination to use the swap discs as normal memory and having a decent SSD makes that process a heck of a lot quicker.

My machine's about ten years old I think - possibly 15. Had a decently fast AMD processor in when I bought it and the only real upgrade has been a couple of SSDs over the years. I mainly run Linux but it'll happily boot into Windows 10.
By Red
I7 running win 10 built 6 years ago still fully up to date and running everything I can throw at it, only update a graphics card cos I like games
By RichJordan
8 year old Lenovo laptop that lives under the sofa for stuff I can't do on a phone or iPad. Windows 7 or 8? Dunno.

It's full of dust and dog hair, never gets any attention or maintenance, probably hasn't even been restarted for over a year (closing the lid just puts it to sleep).

It's been completely reliable, wakes up instantly, still works quickly.

I'm genuinely impressed with it.
By Boing_737
Running a Lenovo T440P I bought from eBay for £120, put in SSD, changed screen to 1080p IPS, and put some more RAM in it. Runs on Ubuntu, works like a charm, for around £200 all in.
By GAFlyer4Fun
Old hardware works provided the software does not get too fussy about what is running doing compatibility checks on versions of dependent software.

Some applications get fussy with mandatory automatic updates and that may eventually lead to a compatibility issue that will stop it being used for what the user intended.
Same happens on smartphones. (WhatsApp ruined a perfectly usable android phone trying to force a mandatory upgrade when there was not enough free space to do it. The old version continued to work for a while until some months later when they enforced a policy of upgrade their app or lose its functionality. The original forced upgrade that failed made the phone unstable so it was time to move onto something new).

The other issue with running old hardware/software is hackability etc. Not a problem if it is never connected to a network with internet access.
By JAFO
My last laptop - which I replaced last April - was ten years old. My work Lenovo is six years old. So, sorry @PaulB , Apple products are nothing special in those stakes.
By PaulB
Perhaps it's Sony Vaio's that are the exceptions then... they run like snails (one has W10 and one has Ubuntu)

TBH it doesn't help that the batteries are dead so they have to be shut down / restarted every time (but they're still slow)
By GrahamB
PCs used in large corporates will generally seem to last longer than those used for domestic purposes as the OS build will be tighter and more locked down.

Domestic machines will often slow down much earlier in their potential useful life because of all the carp they end up carrying.
By nallen
I have a Samsung NC-10 notebook from 2009 that I used when away from home. It would still be in use if a bit of software I need hadn't upgraded to Windows 10 and the Samsung looked like it was going to struggle, so last year I got a replacement laptop.