For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
'Throddy'

Epithet used to describe, typically, the fresher of the female persuasion sitting halfway along the fourth row of the Biochemistry Lecture theatre by a couple of gagging male undergraduates in the sixth row.

First heard from a couple of mates from MGS in my College c. 1964.
Not heard it since: must be a Northern thing.

Where are you now Geoff/Alan?

Peter :lol:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On rone pipes - in the very early days of aviation in New Zealand, these cast iron pipes were cut and skimmed out to make aircraft engine cylinder liners.
All words ending in ”ough” in the north of Scotland sound as the guttural “och” as in loch or “och aye”. Slowly dying out now.

Therefore ....... sough - to breath heavily.
By akg1486
For those who enjoy old words I'd recommend you follow Susie Dent on Twitter. There you can find gems like this:

An 'ultracrepidarian' is a presumptuous critic who offers an opinion on matters far outside their sphere of knowledge. (From the Latin for 'beyond the sole', and a story of a cobbler who criticised not just a shoe in a famous painting, but the legs too).

I guess many of us here are guilty of that from time to time. :D
kanga liked this
By kanga
Many thanks to OP for opening :thumright: .. right up my street

I detect two main threads here: first, obsolescent but once 'mainstream' (usually Latin/Norman* or Anglo-Saxon) words, and, second, definitely 'regional' (often Celtic/Norse) ones. I like both, both being particularly useful for cryptic crosswords :wink: . For the last, 'Chambers' (the best single-volume English dictionary with etymologies) distinguishes between 'obs'[olescent] and 'dial'[ect].

*Greek-derived ones tend to be more scholarly, and tend to remain in use within their scholarly conexts, often scientific or analogously academic. Similarly, there are words of subcontinental origin, brought to UK from the Raj era, of which some have become mainstream (eg 'bungalow'), some widely understood but somewhat affected ('pukka' ?), and some now apparently obsolescent ('tiffin' ?), or now rare outside particular, often military, contexts ('Blighty' ?).

It is often apparent that these 'Raj' ones tend to be unknown to Americans, unsurprisingly. Analogously words of 'First Nation' origin may be known to them, but less common in UK. These, too, may be contemporary mainstream there ('caucus'), or obsolescent even there ('potlatch' 'mugwump').. It is also noticeable that the vocabulary may be different in US English (most commonly Algonquian, ie Eastern seaboard) and in Canadian English/French (various). Equally, there are many more words of Yiddish origin in American English than in UK, reflecting greater and more influential immigration; some are still mainstream ('schmuck'), some more community-based ('meshuggenah'), some obsolescent outside historical context ('shtetl').

In the very first category, I recall twice surprising US colleagues when in DoD by using perfectly sound past tenses of what to me were perfectly reasonable everyday words: 'forwent' on one occasion 'gainsaid' on another :) , both of which were understood when my interlocutors thought about them for a moment.

In the second ('dialect') category, there are some splendid words in Newfoundland English; some from English/French/Portuguese, some from First Nation or Inuit words. :)

<mustn't go on too long, this is too much fun :wink: >