For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Mr Bags
Sorry to hi-jack Trent's thread, but we are going to do the North Coast 500 during the first week of June this year. We haven't booked any accommodation yet, but with so many fantastic sights en-route, any forumite tips on good locations to base ourselves over the course of the trip? We have an old small 2 seater car, and not much luggage space with the hood down, but should be fun on the twisty roads.

Many thanks in advance!
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My wife was driving (for work) along the route. Be very aware of blind corners which may have a view after them (without parking). She found on multiple occasions that tourists had entirely blocked the road to take photos. She saw two very near misses.

I know decision was made - but we did Vancouver - Banff - Jasper - Whistler a bit over a year ago over a few weeks (various extra stops beyond that). Stunning.
By Trent772
Bugger..... - Forgot about that one and I need to see folks near Calgary.

Hey Ho... Next year
Rob L liked this
By Charliesixtysix
Mr Bags wrote:Sorry to hi-jack Trent's thread, but we are going to do the North Coast 500 during the first week of June this year. We haven't booked any accommodation yet, but with so many fantastic sights en-route, any forumite tips on good locations to base ourselves over the course of the trip? We have an old small 2 seater car, and not much luggage space with the hood down, but should be fun on the twisty roads.

Many thanks in advance!

You have PM.
By OCB
riverrock wrote:I know decision was made - but we did Vancouver - Banff - Jasper - Whistler a bit over a year ago over a few weeks (various extra stops beyond that). Stunning.

:thumleft:
+1 for the above.
mick w liked this
By DarrenL
I know the decision is made, but I10 is worth a look for a future trip. Coast to coast along the bottom, LA to Jacksonville taking in some pretty major cities and sites along the way. I've only done the San Antonio to New Orleans section myself, but it was good and I may revisit it someday!
By skydriller
DarrenL wrote:I know the decision is made, but I10 is worth a look for a future trip.

I10... :shock:
....perdunk... perdunk... perdunk.. perdunk... perdunk... perdunk.. perdunk... perdunk... perdunk... perdunk... perdunk... perdunk.. perdunk... perdunk... perdunk.. perdunk... perdunk... perdunk..... perdunk... perdunk... perdunk.. perdunk... perdunk... perdunk.. perdunk... perdunk... perdunk.. perdunk... perdunk... perdunk.. perdunk... perdunk... perdunk.. perdunk... perdunk... perdunk.. perdunk... perdunk... perdunk
....Aaarrrggghhhhh!!!! :shaking:
By malcolmfrost
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
flybymike wrote:A lengthy tour needs lots of clobber which is a pain with packing and unpacking on a daily basis in hotels

Do people actually do this?

I just pull that day's pants, socks and shirt out from the case. At the end of the day they go into a plastic bag ready for putting back in the case ready for the laundry.

He's obviously not a Long Haul pilot :D
flybymike liked this
By Flyingfemme
DarrenL wrote:I know the decision is made, but I10 is worth a look for a future trip. Coast to coast along the bottom, LA to Jacksonville taking in some pretty major cities and sites along the way. I've only done the San Antonio to New Orleans section myself, but it was good and I may revisit it someday!

Aarrgh! I10 is the most boring interstate it has ever been my (dis)pleasure to use. And I tend to get at least two US road trips most years...........Went from Jax to Gulf Shores a couple of weeks ago - there is NOTHING worth seeing or doing there.
skydriller liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
skydriller wrote:perdunk... perdunk

Most of the interstates in the southern US are concrete. Probably something to do with them not melting in the summer.

malcolmfrost wrote:He's obviously not a Long Haul pilot :D

Neither am I, just lazy... ;-)
By skydriller
Paul_Sengupta wrote:

Most of the interstates in the southern US are concrete. Probably something to do with them not melting in the summer.

Paul, have you driven I10?

Believe me, Houston/Lafayette/New Orleans is just....Aaaarrrgghh!! :shaking:
By Rob L
Paul_Sengupta wrote:

malcolmfrost wrote:He's obviously not a Long Haul pilot :D

Neither am I, just lazy... ;-)

Every Interstate is concrete