For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By kanga
avtur3 wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:Scrub round America - do the North Coast 500 !

Sad to say that until recently I had not heard of the North Coast 500. ..

I've heard (anecdotally. and quite possibly unfairly) that it can be dangerous because it is popular with continental and North American tourists in cars and particularly continentals on motorbikes. With empty roads, long distances between signage, and no road markings except possibly centrelines, continental visitors can easily end up thoughtlessly driving/riding on the right, even if in a RHD hire car, or 'evading right' if they see someone coming the other way. I confess to having occasionally made an analogous error when setting off on similar roads in France in a UK car; fortunately, I've always had a passenger able quickly to remind me. This may, of course, be behind the accident at RAF Creighton.

[replug:

.. there are, of course, similarly beautiful and empty driving routes in the Maritimes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabot_Trail

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoundl ... _Route_430

early summer ideal for either. St John's had 75cm of snow, 150kph winds yesterday, according to my relatives there .. State of Emergency declared: it's illegal to attempt driving :roll: ]
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:continental visitors can easily end up thoughtlessly driving/riding on the right

Night before last, the forum's own Jim Dalton had to be cut out of his lorry, but was otherwise unhurt apart from a few bruises, after being hit head on by another lorry being driven by a Bulgarian on the wrong side of the road.

After everyone was so astonished he was unhurt, they told him he should buy a lottery ticket. He did. He didn't win anything. :D

By avtur3
kanga wrote: .... With empty roads, long distances between signage, and no road markings except possibly centrelines, continental visitors can easily end up thoughtlessly driving/riding on the right ....

Centre lines :lol: ... not wishing to make light of the issue of mistakenly driving on the wrong side of the road, which can clearly have tragic consequences, many of the roads in the highlands don't really lend themselves to this simply because they are single track and where the only way to pass oncoming traffic is using 'passing places'.

I haven't driven the most northerly parts of the highlands but have a little experience in the central and west highlands, the roads don't invite 'hooning around' so probably a lot safer than many roads most of us already drive on.
Charliesixtysix liked this
By Rob L
Trent772 wrote:Every so often, my lad (33) and I venture on a US road trip. We have done East Coast, West Coast, New York, San Fran etc.

Looking at late May, early June, about a week to 10 days with a purpose.

Looked at Boston, Atlanta, New Orleans or Seattle, all doable. The one we really wanted to do was Jellystone but it is a PITA to get there in reasonable times and costs.

So - suggestions please.

Winner will get a postcard and a stick of rock sent :thumleft: :thumleft:

Firstly, that's a good time to visit the USA (shoulder season). Prices are reasonable; weather not too hot, schools are still in.

My suggestion would be to look at flying to Vegas (Virgin Atlantic fly there direct from LGW and MAN, I think). Rent a 4WD SUV (I use carhire3000.com). From Vegas, head north on I15 through the Virgin River Gorge to St George, thence through Zion National Park (worth stopping if it's not a public holiday or weekend [crowds]), then via UT89 and the Skumptua road to Cannonville, Utah, so as to join Highway 12 to Escalante. (You could amend this to include Bryce Canyon NP if you so wish).

From Escalante, drive down to Hole-in-the-Rock (6 hours each way; take a tent + supplies and camp there). 4WD mandatory; it's rough!

Retrace back to Escalante and onwards on Highway12, through Boulder, to Capitol Reef NP, and Hanksville (stop off at Goblin Valley State Park) .

Then south on 95 to Hite, past Fry Canyon to Comb Ridge (not forgetting Natural Bridges National Monument on the way). Comb Ridge has a north-south 4WD road going each side of it; some excellent exploration opportunities exist along both roads.

Then to Bluff, Blanding and north on 191 to Moab. A side trip to Canyonlands NP would not be out of order!

From Moab, west along I70 (crossing the San Raphael Swell) back to Vegas.

If you manage all that in 10 days; I'd be surprised! For a large part, you will be out in the boondocks (hence the 4WD) and for some you will be in the tourist NPs etc; but it's a good comprimise between the two.

I have driven these roads so often I don't need a map or GPS any more (and flown over a bit less.) Look it all up on Google Earth.
If you're happy with camping, the majority of Utah is BLM land (Bureau of Land Management), meaning it's open access all areas. Free to camp; sometimes you need to notify the local BLM office, but only for recording purposes.

Well, that's my suggestion :wink:
flybymike, Trent772 liked this
By JAFO
@Trent772 I've long fancied trying to follow Route 66 or one of the old routes like the Lincoln Highway or the Oregon Trail.
By lutonwho
I agree with Kangaroo about Newfoundland. St Johns is a wonderful city, and Newfoundland is an “undiscovered” paradise”. Drive the Irish Loop, visit Alta Vista where “The Shipping News” was filmed, drive up to beautiful Bonavista. Whilst in Newfoundland make sure you get screeched, (become an honoursNewfoundlander)) which involves kissing a fish, drinking rum (Screech), and reciting an oath.
On one recent visit I was very touched to see a full parade on September the 15th to celebrate Battle of Britain day.
LW
kanga liked this
By Flyingfemme
Anywhere and everywhere. We’ve driven all over the US for various reasons - usually to actually get somewhere - and there is always something interesting to see or visit. Pick your flight and car rental and then look for things/towns/places to visit.
By Charliesixtysix
flybymike wrote:We bought the motorhome to save on accommodation costs!

Cost of motorhome plus Smart Car = a very nice classic car plus an awful lot of hotel rooms ( and no washing up ). :wink:
By flybymike
We used to do the hotel option. It cost us a fortune, and many don’t allow dogs so kennelling fees are added, (and we miss the mutt) A lengthy tour needs lots of clobber which is a pain with packing and unpacking on a daily basis in hotels, not to mention the cost of hotel restaurant food, eating out and/or takeaways versus home cooking.
We like a fixed base and the freedom of up and away wherever and whenever we like with minimal planning,
Motorhomes hold their value well. It’s not dead money like hotel accommodation .
We enjoy touring.
Horses for courses!
Charliesixtysix liked this
By flyingdoug
flybymike wrote:Would love to do it Adrian, but a motorhome pulling a smart car along some of those horrendous narrow steep inclines that I’ve seen on the club forums and websites just makes me too apprehensive.
Perhaps if I could figure out a passable route.......

There is specific motorhome advice for the NC500 at: https://www.northcoast500.com/top-tips- ... an-advice/

I drove some of it last summer and saw a few motorhomes around. There are definitely places to avoid for these vehicles - as explained at the link above. I was there in June and traffic was very light.

Maybe base yourself at a few different easy-to-reach motorhome spots then use the smart car to explore the scenic routes. The https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bealach_na_B%C3%A0 is fantastic (but not for motorhomes!)
flybymike liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
flybymike wrote:A lengthy tour needs lots of clobber which is a pain with packing and unpacking on a daily basis in hotels

Do people actually do this?

I just pull that day's pants, socks and shirt out from the case. At the end of the day they go into a plastic bag ready for putting back in the case ready for the laundry.
skydriller liked this
By Trent772
Hi Folks

After much deliberation and thought, we have settled on Boston.

Mainly because the flight times suit and BA's current sale is offering very good value in steerage and in premium. £500 return, economy out, prem back from Yeadon !

Rob L - I have done almost that with Mrs T, a great trip indeed but we headed down to Phoenix and Casa Grande for the Copperstate Fly-in.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and they are all logged for future trips. Jellystone was just too expensive and 22 hour journey out and back unless you get silly on flight prices.

For anyone with a vague link to the travel or flying industry, Alamo do some stunning rates, just take an ID badge with you as they often ask when they see the rate.

So we are heading up into the White Mountains, then north west probably to Bangor, where I started longhaul years ago, down via Bar Harbor and back towards Boston. There is an RV mate south of Boston who has a great set up at a local airport, cook outs etc. His mate made his own still from scratch and makes some most acceptable tincture.

I will post some snaps on return.

Right - Off to the Turd in the mighty 12 :mrgreen:
By flybymike
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
flybymike wrote:A lengthy tour needs lots of clobber which is a pain with packing and unpacking on a daily basis in hotels

Do people actually do this?

I just pull that day's pants, socks and shirt out from the case. At the end of the day they go into a plastic bag ready for putting back in the case ready for the laundry.

You wouldn’t believe Mrs fbm’s checklist for a trip away....... :roll: