For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Boing_737
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:
But if you want your NTP servers to be traceable to UTC (which you typically do) then you will need a method of synchronisation at some point and GPS is currently the best option.

Not if you're a Telco and you have a really expensive caesium clock in your core network. Much better than GPS as a timing source.

If you're merely an IT peasant where caesium clocks maybe a bit expensive to buy :evil: I take your point...
By PaulB
How do you ensure that your caesium clock is telling the same time as the next IT Royalty's model?

Is there a world definitive source of accurate time that all these clocks are synchronised with?
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I would undoubtedly continue flying if there was no GPS - I flew without it until a bit over two years ago, so I could quite easily go back if I had to, and I'd still love the air.

But my nav style has changed quite a bit. I nudge up much, much closer to the edges of CAS these days.

So for example, whereas back in the day I would have given Stapleford a call and gone through their overhead, or close to it, when heading that way, now I'll go through the gap between their ATZ and the NE corner of the London CTR, and stay with Farnborough.

I still (pretty much) make sure I know exactly where I am at all times, cross referencing with the ground, so I would almost always have an 'out' if suddenly the GPS dropped out. It would sure get my full attention though.

Which begs the question, what does the SkyDemon screen do if it loses GPS? It's never happened to me, and I'm using it literally on every flight now, but presumably the warning would be fairly obvious?
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We've noted this before but GA would not be able to fly IFR without GPS and the efficiencies in CAT routing would be constrained.